No Place Like Home

Don't take final days for granted

Alexis Hunter, Opinion Writer

June 4th has been etched in my brain for the longest time. As the school year comes to an end it’s getting real that in a couple months I will be leaving for college. As time winds down I realize that I will miss a lot of things about H-F and home.

Don’t get me wrong, I am overjoyed to attend Mizzou in the fall. However, I know so many things will be different. Here are some of the things I will miss and wish I hadn’t taken for granted.

1.) It cannot be overstated on how diverse H-F is compared to other high schools, let alone colleges. For the first time in my life I will be a minority.

That will obviously be a big change and there will be people who don’t have the same mind set as me. It’s been awesome to get to know and learn from people who are completely different from me.

2.) I will be going to a state that holistically has different political viewpoints than me. This will be something many of us will have to adapt to.

I will be able to better understand both sides of political issues which will lead to more well rounded ideas about the issue.

3.) I will miss the friends I have made over the past four years. Being involved in a sport and various clubs has allowed me to meet some great people.

Deep down we know that we will not keep in contact with all of our high school friends. It’s one of the many harsh realities of growing up.

4.) The teachers care about you academically and personally. In college you will have to be more assertive if you don’t understand the lesson.

Especially your first couple of years because in general education classes you will be one out of hundreds of students.

It will be impossible for them to know you if you don’t speak up. When I’ve had personal issues, teachers were very understanding about the situation.

In college they can care less if you are late or if you even show up; everything is on you.

5.) I’m going to miss the traditions with my family. Even the family gatherings that my mom forced me to go to and I complained the whole time.

6.) Our community is close-knit and genuinely care about our success. In the real world we won’t always have constant support and guidance.

7.) I will miss having my own space. I seriously will have to adjust to having a roommate.

One of my biggest fears is getting a roommate who lied on their profile. So enjoy your own bed and space for the next few months.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t feel ecstatic about going off to school, but it’s impossible to act like there is nothing at home you will miss.

According to research done at UCLA Higher Institute, 69 percent of first year students report feeling homesick.

We should feel fortunate that we grew up here. I’m excited to use what we have learned here to propel us to success in the future.

Enjoy your summer with family and friends and try to not to rush the road ahead.