D1 phenoms

Donald Crocker, Sports Writer

Senior Jamezz Kimbrough did not get one scholarship offer before Central Michigan University. After a little more research, Kimbrough knew he wanted to go to CMU.

“The reason I picked CMU is because they gave me my first scholarship. They have people that went to CMU and that are now doing great in the NFL. The school felt comfortable for me altogether,” Kimbrough said.

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, the town where CMU is located, is the home of the main campus and is a big supporter of the sports at CMU.

“The whole city is devoted to that sport. You know it’s a big responsibility. You know you got to come out and do work so everybody is pleased,” Kimbrough said.

Senior Finess Dickson is committed to the University of Memphis to not only play basketball got the Tigers, but to experience the freedom of college life.

“In high school, there are parental forces to ensure that you do all your work and that you’re taking care of yourself. In college, you’re basically making all decisions for yourself, and there is no one to hold your hand or make you go to class or anything,” Dickson said.

Dickson is looking forward to the family-like atmosphere that she has witnessed so far at Memphis.

“I feel like I would be a part of a family when I get on the team. The coaches there will have my best interest in mind and will look out for me similar to a parent,” Dickson said.

Senior John Michael Schmitz has always been one of the bigger guys on the field. Schmitz towers over most of his teammates at the height of 6’4”.

Not only will he compete with players taller than him, but he’ll have to stop them from getting to the quarterback.

Schmitz plans to play center at the University of Minnesota, where he is looking to make an impact. He hopes that after college, he’ll get a chance in the NFL.

“I want to go to the pros. I’ll definitely have a shot at it. If I don’t go to the pros, I will probably do something with coaching,” Schmitz said.

In college, Schmitz is aiming for a degree in sports management or communications. Either way, football is going to make a huge influence on his life.