The Voyager

Cords request pushed back to next year

Samantha Roberson, News Editor

It’s finally graduation, you’re dressed in your robe, but you’re missing something: a bright gold cord to represent your dedicated time to an honor society.

Despite H-F being the home of six honor societies, only National Honor Society members are able to wear gold cords over their robes at graduation.

This year, President of Spanish National Honor Society senior Zakiya Walker decided to challenge this policy and talk to administration about why cords aren’t granted to each honor society.

“We’ve really cracked down on hours, who’s accepted, the grades you have to keep, we’re just as prestigious as NHS so I saw nothing wrong with us getting chords,” Walker said.

NHS has been the only honor society here to wear cords for the past 50 years.

“We knew this was a way bigger process than them just asking for it,” sponsor Ashley Mazzola said. “A lot of people would have to be involved and there would be repercussions.”

Walker gathered up the officers from all of the other honor societies to talk to the Director of Activities, Gail Smith and eventually Superintendent Von Mansfield.

“We spoke to these students and thought ‘Well, you’re right, what other organizations can we recognize?’” Mansfield said.

Class of 2017 will not be granted cords but Mansfield said it will be considered for next year.

One of the administration’s oppositions to the change is that student’s wearing multiple cords over their robes will look “messy.”

Senior Courtney Commodore proposed getting different colored cords or pins to help differentiate each organization.

At a school board meeting last month, an unidentified woman offered to pay the approximated $500 to buy cords for the graduating seniors.