Anderson points toward future

Michaela Reid, Editor in chief

I watched as Principal Jerry Anderson stood up, beaming with school pride. Her bright red, layered getup represented the many layers of her character.
She said that she wanted a community that always put students first. She picked up a piece of paper and brought it back to the table.
“I’ll draw it then I can better explain it,” she said
She began scribbling arrows in varying directions, explaining that nothing would get done without a collective goal in mind to make each arrow point in the same direction.
“Look at each individual arrow,” she said, “the commonality is the students… when I look through these hallways I see that these students aren’t just students, they’re MY students.”
Anderson’s contract began in July, making this her third month. Within these three months she has many goals that she has began or is planning on accomplishing.
H-F is a school of great diversity and substance; now we have a principal to match. “There are so many dimensions to people,” Anderson said. She thinks that H-F is diverse in more ways than one and that’s why it is so high achieving.
“First thing’s first and second thing’s second.”
The new school year can bring many challenges, but the first is to simply get going again. For students and teachers alike, it’s about getting back in good habits.
Anderson’s fundamental concerns are hiring remaining staff that needs to be hired, check the master schedule and learn about registration.

“Giving people the opportunity to get to know you.”
Returning to H-F requires a lot of relationship building between Anderson, the faculty and students. Although a lot of the physical elements of the school have been switched around, the great community and high achieving students still remain, she said.

“Can’t rest on your laurels.”
Anderson is a firm believer in always improving and reflecting. She piles up all the resources she has and keeps all her experiences to ensure she’s prepared for any future problem.
The front of her office is a bookshelf stretched across the length of the wall. She is always updating new material, planning and setting personal goals.