Fútbol or Football?

Donald Crocker, Assistant Sports Editor

Being a kicker takes an immense amount of skill. The kicker must have great coordination, balance, agility, footwork and reaction time.

You could say senior Brendan Hurley had a head start before becoming the starting kicker for H-F.

Hurley has been playing soccer since he was eight and has been on the varsity soccer team for the last three years.

This year, Hurley and fellow senior Sebastian Ascencio led the soccer team as captains.

“He leads all the warmups and all the drills and whenever there is a question on the field, he’s the one that asks the official,” varsity soccer head coach Christopher Reid said.

On Oct. 11, Hurley was selected to participate in the All-Selection Game. There are 12 players selected from each conference and Hurley was the only one selected from H-F.

“It’s an honor to be selected…It’s a big payoff for working hard, running every summer, going to camps and staying late for practices over my four years … It’s a good sense of achievement,” Hurley said.

Two years ago, former starting kicker Christopher Elion graduated, so the search for a new kicker began.

Varsity football coach Craig Buzea was lucky enough to have Hurley in his fitness and performance class. All he had to do was ask him and he said yes.

“It was different because I had to manage my time better, adding another thing to my schedule. I think it was a little more stressful, but overall the pros outweighed the cons,” Hurley said.

The soccer season is now over but when it was in action, Hurley had a lot to juggle with school, football and soccer.

“It takes a special person to do what he’s doing; playing two sports in one season. He’s been outstanding for us and we certainly would not be where we are at without him,” Buzea said.

Throughout the season, the football team rarely kicked field goals because they would just score a touchdown.

Most high schools don’t have good kickers because they like to focus on position players more. Hurley scored only one field goal during the season, but he managed to knock in 44 out of 50 PATs.

“He’s a nice weapon for us, and we certainly feel like he has the ability to kick extra points and clutch field goals as well. We are hopeful he’ll help us in that regard,” Buzea said.

Hurley plans to go into college undecided but will most likely lean towards a career in science. He is also considering taking soccer to the collegiate level, but nothing is definite.

“It’s really up to him and what he wants to do. If that’s something he wants to pursue, then we will try to find the best fit for him. But he absolutely could,” Reid said.

Unfortunately, the Vikings lost to Naperville Central 31-28. The Vikings were in field goal range, but opted to go for the win.

Next year, punter John Hertel will replace Hurley as the kicker for the football team.