Conference Champs

Iesha Brown, Sports Writer

Touchdown! The boys’ freshman football A team beat Sandburg 18-0 and won the conference championship for the first time in six years.

As the season comes to an end, the boys are looking forward to playing next year. Some of them are even considering trying out for varsity.

Although they beat rivals Lincoln-Way-West and Lincoln-Way East in close games, winning against Sandburg was a breeze.

Lincoln-Way East usually places number one in the freshman conference, but this Vikings team could not be defeated as they finished in first this year.

Head coach, Ted Venegas, has been apart of the head staff for a year and saw great progress within the team.

“We’ve been working towards this goal all season long,” Venegas said. “I was glad that they struggled early on because they were able to snap out of it and do what me and other coaches wanted them to do.”

Being undefeated in conference is a huge goal the team tried their hardest to achieve. The team had a record of 7-2, but that didn’t stop them from achieving their goal.

When they work together, they are unstoppable. They all have learned to work with each other in order to get the job done.

“I learned how to trust the guys that I coach to do the things their positions are supposed to do and even gained a bond with not only them, but the team too,” Venegas said. “There is literally never a dull moment.”

In the first quarter of the game, the team started off scoring the first two touchdowns and remained in the lead with no pressure.

“We did all of our assignments right, so that’s what lead us to victory.We stayed humble throughout the game…even though offense was a little flat in the first quarter,” freshman running back Sean Allen said.

After the game, everyone in the stadium was jumping out of their seats.

The team has never achieved an accomplishment as big as this one. They were tremendously proud of what they did and knew that all of their hard work paid off.

“I just think it was an excellent way to end the season, but the greatest highlight of the year was the win against Lincoln-Way-East…the boys were impressive,” assistant defensive coach Warren Rhodes said.

Some players plan to accomplish more goals over their high school career as they prepare in the off season in hope of making varsity as Sophomores.

“People always underestimate the freshmen until we showed them what we are really about,” freshman middle linebacker Jaylen Olokun said. “No one thought we would’ve made it this far and it’s truly a blessing.”