Above the Rim

Bryce Stiff, Sports editor

Losing to the biggest school rival is never an easy situation, but the only way to combat it is by snatching a 20-point win against Lincoln-Way Central then a 15-point destruction of Lincoln-Way East.

“After the Marian loss, I felt like we let our school and fans down because it hadn’t happened in all my years of being a part of the program,” senior guard Sean Jones said. “The key to moving forward was to have a short term memory and moving on to the next challenge that should arrive this season.”

The Vikings (5-1, 1-0) have shown flashes of what they can be at full potential. Inserting four new starters around 2019 guard Maurion Scott has gone very smooth so far for head coach Marc Condotti.

“With two weeks to prepare for a team that has returning starters and experience, it was a good sign that we played as well as we did,” Condotti said. “To have a chance to win the game with three minutes to go was something we talked about before the game and we got ourselves there. With practice, we will be able to execute better in those situations.”

Jones and Isaac Stanback have been key contributors to lessening the load off of returning starter Scott, with Stanback going for 18 and 23 points against Lincoln-Way Central band Lincoln-Way East respectively.

“Those two will always be important to our success,” Scott said. “Because when things get tough or things get slow, Issac and Sean will go get buckets. That’s what they do; they run the floor well and get to the basket.”

Stanback was a two-year starter for Hillcrest before finalizing a transfer to H-F in August.

With his addition to the team, they have been much better in transition this year than previous because of his athleticism and ability to play above the rim.

“I feel like the difference from last year’s team and this year’s team is our youth and the transfers, obviously,” Scott said. “Since we’re so young and new to H-F’s program coach is letting us run more and not containing each of our individual game. I also feel like everyone sees and realizes our potential as a team and is working for it equally as hard as the next man.”

Not being able to run in transition and keep up with other teams has held them back before, but they were able to make up for it with strong shooting. Now they have both which could put them square in the playoff race this season.

“Our strengths right now are speed, athleticism and individual talent,” Condotti said.

The next big tournament (Hinsdale Central Holiday Classic) begins over winter break Wednesday Dec. 27 with a first round game against Stevenson but Condotti doesn’t think the team will reach its full potential until playoff time comes around.

Sophomores Rj Ogom and Kyndall Davis are two first year varsity players for the Vikings and have been able to score in bunches early in the season.

With the amount of people who can score almost at will, look for the Vikings to invade the chicagoland area top 25 in due time once they put it all together especially after a big win last Friday against No. 17 Lincoln-Way East.