Third time’s a charm

In the past three years, there have been multiple coaches and the wrestling team believes this coach is the best option yet.

Coach Shannyn Gillespie has taken the role as the new boys wrestling coach for both junior varsity and varsity.

Shannyn has coached for USA Wrestling at the U.S. Olympic Education Center from the years 2004 to 2012. He coached young adults from the ages 15-24.

After working with some of the best wrestlers in the world, he also coached six to 19 year olds at the Overtime School of Wrestling, a private sports school, from the years 2012 to 2014.

Gillespie enjoys coaching and because of his experience, he’s had plenty of knowledge to give the boys in order to make the team fun.

“Coaching is what I was put on this Earth to do, and it is what I am most passionate about,” said Gillespie.

He feels many of the students have the same goals he had when he was a high school student, which was to win a state title and earn a full-ride to college.

“This is my first year on the team and I really love this team so far,” junior Jack Schmitz said. “Coach Shannyn has a set goal for us, and I think we have a better shot at winning this year.”

He expects the team to continuously seek, strive, and pursue excellence throughout all they do.

“I have a good feeling about this team this year,” Gillespie said. “I believe that H-F wrestling is a great way for students to be committed and help them reach their full potential in athletics, academics, and in life.”

The team trusts him greatly and feels like they are in good hands.

“He’s good. I feel like every-time I go into the room and leave, I feel like I definitely have got better, just by him teaching us and learning new ways,” senior Justin Cosby said.

The team ends each practice with a “study table” from 5pm- 6pm Monday through Thursday day to ensure they are on top of their grades. Gillespie highly believes in the philosophical “student first, athlete second.”

“Coach Gillespie is a cool guy. He really knows what the team wants as far as winning, and I know that he will lead us to victory,” junior Briscoe Watson Jr. said.

Outside of coaching, he likes spending time with his family and friends or catching up on international soccer.

He is a very social person. He is either spending time with his family, writing blogs for coachshannyn.com or on other wrestling websites, blogs, social media.

Gillespie is very family-oriented. He has one older sister and two half brothers. He has been married to his wife Emily for 16 years, and has two daughters named Jazmyn and Kayla who are both in high school.

Overall, the team has a very positive outlook on the new coach and has very high expectations on winning this year.

“The team consists of roughly 50 students and they all will be successful if they continue to be coachable, pay attention to detail…then apply self-control and self-discipline,” Gillespie said.