Rebuilding the home team

Chase Falkner, Sports Writer

This years girls varsity basketball team is like nothing the coaches have ever seen before.

“Tenacious” is the word senior power forward Jai Cunningham used to describe their passion and perseverance. Compared to past teams, the team now is more eager to learn and succeed.

Head Coach Anthony Smith vocalized the “raw talent” the girls process.

“They’re eager, they’re active, they’re quick,” Smith said.

On Dec. 5, the team beat Lincoln Way Central 45-28. With a record of 5-2, the girls plan to improve every game.

On the court, no one holds back. They encourage each other with motivational words and cheering throughout the game. Assistant coaches Walter Collins and Evan Bercot have endless faith in the girls.

“There is plenty of D-I potential everywhere I look on this team. Each kid brings something different to the table and when those skills are maximized the potential is limitless,” Bercot said.

With girls from every grade prospering on the team, their future is looking very bright.

“One thing about my team is they want to be good, and they want it now,” Smith said.

Bercot and Smith have the same opinion on their team and want them to dominate.

“As this group stays together and is willing to each bring their piece to the puzzle, we can really accomplish whatever they want to,” Bercot said.

With many leaders on the team, the girls work diligently and faithfully to make each other better. Despite others’ opinions, they let no words break their spirits.

“A lot of people have been saying that because so many talented seniors left us last season that this is the year of rebuilding,” Cunningham said.

The girls practice at least six days a week, sometimes seven, according to Manager Joi Perkins, and it shows when they step onto the court.

“Every practice is an opportunity to improve and get better with them,” Cunningham said.

One thing everyone on the court can agree with is their effort to push harder.

“You got to learn how to take criticism learn what you need to do,” Perkins said.

Senior Kaitlin Lee has been apart of the basketball team all four years and always looked forward to senior year on Varsity.

“We’ve come a long way, and I’m proud of the progress we have all made together,” Lee said.

When it comes to being part of a team, it is best to develop strong bonds with your teammates, and that is exactly what these girls have underway.

“Throughout struggles within the game of basketball and life, it’s comforting knowing that I’ll always have my 13 sisters to lean on,” Cunningham said.