Artist in the making

Brielle Scullark, Feature Editor

Having a creative vision is one thing, but transforming that vision into your own fashion line is on a whole different level.

Inspired by the clothing line, Extra Pills, created by his brother, senior Adonis Jones knew that fashion was something that he loved since the eighth grade.

“My older brother started a small, little label with some friends because they were bored…,” Jones said. “And as the younger sibling, you always want to follow what the older one is doing.”

Following his older brother footsteps, Jones created his own clothing line called Uncxmmxn Clothing.

“I came up the name, Uncxmmxn Clothing, and a slogan to use. I just thought of something unique and not already used,” Jones said.

Usually when you’re young some hobbies don’t stick, but this wasn’t just a hobby for Jones.

Jones took advantage of clothing construction class in his sophomore year. He said the class greatly helped with producing his clothing line.

Creating a fashion line is extremely difficult, especially only being a high school student. There are many steps to creating a clothing brand. Jones said the hardest part of having his own clothing line is designing the clothes.

“I say this because I want to have something unique and never seen but also things people will like,” Jones said.

There are many other steps in making a fashion line that are challenging. According to www.howtostartaclothingcompany.com, it said that learning how to promote your brand and manage it is necessary to a successful fashion line. Designing is only one piece to the puzzle.

`“Getting my name out there was and still is pretty hard. I promote myself through social media and school,” Jones said.

“Usually people don’t believe me when I say I own my own clothing line. When I’m wearing my clothes, I just tell them come shop…they’ll look at my shirt so they know I’m serious and not just talking.”   

Jones promotes his clothing line on Twitter, Instagram, and his website. To see any of his designs, go to the website www.uncxmmxnclothing.com.

Jones is driven to work hard because his customers continue to motivate and inspire him.

“When I see someone that puts something I designed in their outfit for the day, it’s the best feeling,” Jones said.

Support from his family and friends is another factor that keeps Jones working hard and focused.

“My family supports me heavily and so do my friends. They help me promote my business too. This is somewhat a team thing,” Jones said.

Senior Brandez Tronshaw, friend of Jones, is excited to see Uncxmmxn succeed.

“I feel like it’s a great start especially since he started only in eighth grade,” Tronshaw siad.

Jones will graduate in December and wants to continue to grow Uncxmmxn. In the next couple of years, he plans to collaborate with brands he enjoys to wear and open up his own store.

“I will be dedicated full time after I graduate. I’m looking to go to an arts school so I can possibly work with others to broaden myself and my brand,” Jones said. 

Jones is a big believer in following your dreams no matter how difficult they might be to reach.

“Find what you love and stick with it but always have a plan B,” Jones said. “Nothing is handed to you in life, so you have to go out and get it by any means.”