Who run the world… GIRLS!

Iesha Brown, Sports Writer

New coach, new girls, same goal: win the state championship.

The season of girls track and field will start next week and they are looking forward to a bright season.

These girls are extremely competitive and know what it takes to get them where they need to be.

Last year the girls won indoor conference, second place at outdoor conference, second place at sectionals, won the 3A sectionals, and placed second at state.

“Coming back this year, our goal is to finish the job….to win outdoor conference and state,” Coach Zontavius Johnson said.

This year marks the second year Johnson has been coaching the girls track and field, even though he has been coaching football and track for 12 years.

He is also a special education teacher who works one-on-one with students.

Last year, the girl’s track team was quite successful despite some drawbacks of a new coach.

Before Coach Johnson coached the girls, college counselor Kevin Coy coached the previous years leading up to 2016.

One of the “stars” of the team that set the bar really high for the girls was when Jaimie Robinson set the new IHSA 3A Triple Jump record.

“We had the best girls track team season of H-F history last year, and the goal is to top that season this year,” Johnson said.

This year, the team plans to achieve the same goals they had last year; only this time successfully surpass the expectations that were placed last year.

“I absolutely think this will be a successful year for the team, given that most of us are returning from last year and have been training ever since the end of the season,” junior Trelyn Newkirk said.

As of right now, the girls practice Monday through Saturday. Sunday is considered as their ‘rest day’.

However as the girls get further into the season, they will have lighter practices Monday through Friday as well as more ‘rest days’.”

Leading up to the sweaty practices, most of their meets are on Saturdays. Each day has a theme as far as what workout is appropriate for that specific day.

Because there are a lot of new girls on the team, the atmosphere is fresh and pristine. Some of the returning girls on the team from last season continue to spread team love and encourage the other girls.

“I’ve learned more about sacrifice, discipline, commitment and how to communicate with different people,” senior Olivia Oliver said.

Winning is no issue for the girls. Any obstacle that comes in their path, they are sure to overcome it.

Come and support the girl’s track and field team at their first home meet on Feb. 9 at 4:30 p.m. in the North Fieldhouse.