‘Best diver’ H-F has ever seen

Michaela Reid, Editor in chief

The meditating, bright-eyed, pool record-breaking wonder- Sophomore Jack Williams was shrugging off his seasons’ accomplishments with the utmost modesty. He raced from school, catching the train to the big city for diving practice at UIC, then back home by 9 p.m. to his big, loving and noisy family.

After having finished his rigorous homework consisting of multiple AP classes, he sought to chill out at the end of the night. He meditates and does breathing exercises to step back from the stress of the day and attempt at gaining some peace.

“It’s been a ride. We live and we learn, that’s what I live by,” and Williams learns fast.
Williams, having only participated in the sport for 2-3 years, has broken five pool records in diving this past swim season.

What started out as “messing around” at Flossmoor Country Club, with current teammate Dominic Cutrara, soon grew past everyone’s expectations.

“I saw myself getting a lot better. Not a lot of people choose this sport so I thought maybe I could go far in this,” Williams said.

Williams has broken pool records for highest scores ever at H-F, Sandburg, Riverside Brookfield, Lincoln-Way West and Lincoln-Way Central, and the season is still running strong. While seemingly shy and introverted on the surface, his dominant nature in the pool forces him to compete against himself day in and day out.

“If I’m improving, there’s nothing to be mad about,” Williams said.
Williams’s coach, Rick Carlson, has become a huge motivation and push throughout his diving career.

“He knew my dad when I was growing up so our relationship is pretty tight,” Williams said. “He pushes me to my limit sometimes. You just can’t be nervous. If your coach believes you can do it you can.”Carlson has a record of training some incredible divers. Marian alum Joey Cefelli went as far as the Olympic trials for diving.

Carlson said Williams is “probably the best diver H-F has ever had.” He confirmed that Williams is fifth on the all-time top ten list.

Williams said that he looked up to Cefelli growing up and still does. “He used to come to the country club and show off. If I could be like him, that would be incredible,” Williams said.

Now known for his amazing talent, he is also known by teammate, Dominic Cutrara, as firstly “a very good friend” and secondly, someone that Cutrara learns a lot from just by watching him.

Although Williams admits he is “a little nervous” about the future and keeping up his growth, he is motivated to go D1 for diving.

“My expectations are that he’ll be in the state finals meet this year and win state meet next year and the following year,” Carlson said.