2030: year of fatness

Michaela Reid, Editor in chief

Every day the cultural warp of junk food, fast food, and quickly paced lifestyles coat young kids in the corruption corn syrup that causes them to have brain fog, mood changes, and uncontrollable cravings.

Side note, it’s not really the cravings you can’t control, rather, you don’t have control of the neural connection between your metabolism and your brain.

In a way, sugar can control you.

Every time I open my mouth to talk about health, I feel this undeniable culture that is complacent in comfort food eating lifestyles. They simply don’t want to hear it.

Much in the same way that our country didn’t want to hear the deadly effects tobacco. Our overwhelming consumption of sugar demonstrates this complacency.

I know its hard for Americans, let alone young adults, who have grown up in this hidden sugar, processed world to picture life any other way.However let me lay out your potential road of health, and you can see the disastrous effects

It is projected that 50 percent of adults in the United States will be obese by 2030, according to hhs.gov. So get out there, join adulthood, join the workforce, flip your coin and be significantly overweight!

At least you’ll support doctor’s pockets! Your annual cost of living will be on average 4,879 (women) or 2,646 (men) $ more!

On top of that, you’ll have much higher risks of cancer and heart disease. Not to mention the psychosocial effects that will shame you into mental health issues.

Does it sound like a life you want?

You may think “Oh I’m just lazy” or “weak-willed”, but the issue extends much farther beyond willpower. Food is not made the same way it used to.

Despite many efforts to eat healthily you probably turn back to many packaged, processed foods that are undeniably addictive. Many believe the root of this epidemic is sugars, more particularly hidden sugars.

It’s why you can escape eating unhealthily. What?! There are hidden sugars in a hotdog?

No! Not in your special diet protein bar! Yes, in fact, major food corporation have long learned the secrets of addictive foods.

Being that sugar has been shown to be as addictive as cocaine, it makes sense to sneak it into foods you wouldn’t dream of to make a profit.
In moderation, sugar won’t harm you. However because it is so addictive, you should educate yourself on current policies of what food producing companies market as health foods.

That is why eating healthy and choosing more whole foods is important. You are the only one who is looking out for you.

Our country tends to look at a healthy lifestyle as simply sacrifice.

However, it’s not about going vegan, doing a fad diet, or taking away certain foods. It’s about adding more vegetables and knowing the road of manufactured “food” will put a halt on your health as an adult.