Up and coming

Donald Crocker, Assistant Sports Editor

Chemistry was a problem for the Varsity Boys Basketball team as they dropped five out of 10 games through December and January.

After a couple of two-game losing streaks, the team began to investigate what they were doing wrong.

“We were starting to see on film that we were being selfish and we started losing. Once you lose so much, you really dig deep so you can get a W. Now it’s just natural,” senior starting guard Sean Jones Jr. said.

The boys are now on an eight game win streak with a record of 19-6, and they don’t look like they are going to slow down.

The team includes only three seniors, and the rest of the team consists of mostly juniors, a couple of sophomores and one freshman. The future’s looking bright for the basketball program.

“We only have three seniors so we have a lot of young talent. A lot of people are saying how the south suburbs aren’t good this year, but I think in future years we can surprise them. And we’re a threat this year as well,” freshman forward Chad Readey said.

Varsity head coach Marc Condotti has been around coaching his whole life because of his father, Roy Condotti. His father was the varsity head coach at H-F from 1995-2005 and was even assistant head coach under Marc from 2015-2016.

Marc has been coaching and teaching here for 15 years. A drill that Marc makes sure to incorporate into their practice is a one-on-one drill.

“They are kind of pitted against each one on one, and it’s every man for themselves. There’s no way out, and there’s no help…Those drills are always a little bit grueling, but it really gives us a feel for where they are at as individuals,” Condotti said.

Junior guard Maurion Scott has always had a love for basketball, but never played in an organized league until 7th grade. This is his second year on varsity, but his first year starting.

“It helps us play better because we know that he [Condotti] wants us to be in condition to play at our best potential. But then again, we push each other and hold each other to a higher standard so that makes us even better,” Scott said.

Last year, the team was left baffled with the numerous injuries to the seniors that played big roles throughout the season.

As a result, they lost to Brother Rice 57-50 in the regional championship. This year, the team hopes to prevent this from happening again.

“I feel more confident because our injuries came from our seniors and they were the majority of the people playing last year. So, we were basically done for, but this year we have no injuries, and we are majority juniors. We should be healthy and come in with a full head of steam,” Scott said.

The team may play Simeon Career Academy, one of the best high school basketball programs in the nation, later during the playoffs. They are ranked third in the country and first in the state with a record of 25-3.

“They’ve got good players. They’ve been good as long as anyone can remember so we want to beat them,” Readey said.

The Vikings are ranked 35th in the state and 795th in the nation, but this doesn’t scare them at all.

“I think we can get as far as we want to…it’s going to be dependent on how hard we want to play, how smart we play and how well we can play together,” Condotti said.