1/2 Full, Not 1/2 Empty

Iesha Brown, Sports Writer

Despite an unfortunate loss at Regionals against Mother McAuley on Feb. 15, the girl’s varsity basketball team finished the season with some remarkable accomplishments.

The team ended the season with a total record of 14-14 and 7-3 in conference.

“We’ve worked our butts off since June all the way up to February, preparing for this moment and as that final buzzer went off, I just felt my heart drop,” junior power forward Jahkeema Kimbrough said.

The team did not get as far as they wish they could have, but they absolutely got far enough to participate in many events and had some great opportunities to come across.

They participated in the Chicago Elite Classics and were able to beat Whitney Young. They also competed in Arizona against the number one team in the nation around that time.

“I thought we accomplished a lot this season. We didn’t meet all of our goals, but every game we had we gave it our best,” Coach Anthony Smith said.

Four seniors consisting of: Aireal Dickson, Arianna Gary-Bell, Dana Johnson, and Kaitlin Lee all qualified for the McDonald’s All American Game.

Smith has been coaching girls varsity basketball for 20 years. He started as a freshman coach and worked his way up to becoming a varsity coach.

Basketball has really made a positive impact on the team. One of the younger players really enjoyed the season as she found space to grow.

“As a team, I think we really did have a lot of growth on and off the court. Personally, I found a new confidence in myself that I never had before,” guard sophomore Imani Mitchell said.

Smith said one of their funniest moments happened on a snowy day when school was canceled. Even though no one else came to school, the girls showed up ready to put in hard work.

This year, Smith says that one of the weaknesses the team dealt with was being young and inexperienced.

However, the one strength they had was teamwork.

“I believe out of 28 games, I would only look at maybe two or three of them we didn’t really give our best effort, but the girls do a great job of maximizing their potential,” said Smith.

On senior night, the girls had a close win with a score of 60-59 against Bolingbrook. Another huge event at H-F was back in January against Lockport, taking an incredible win of 50-34.

Even though the season has ended, that doesn’t mean these girls did not play well.

They gave it their all and in the long run became closer than what they thought.

“I loved playing with these girls…there was never a dull moment, and I’m proud to call them my sisters, love them like my momma had ‘em,” Kimbrough said.