Males get sexually abused too

Iesha Brown, Sports Writer

For the past year there have been many media stories about women coming out against sexual abuse, yet we tend to turn a blind eye on the men who face this type of abuse.

While women are indeed more likely to face sexual abuse at higher rates, we have to realize that this is not something limited to one gender.

Sexual abuse can happen just about anywhere. In alleys, in homes, even in schools. Young people are considered to be at the highest risk. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Office 8 percent of victims aged 12 to 17 are male, and 26 percent of victims under the age of 12 are male.

Sometimes the abuse happens in sports.

As many people are focusing on the recent trial against Larry Nassar, with the overwhelming number of girls speaking out about their trauma, the relationship between coaches and athletes is on the country’s mind.

Many people find sports as an outlet for the problems they face on a day to day basis, but it seems to be that they are running into more problems with the effects of these horrendous crimes.

There’s not a lot of data on this but a 2000 Canadian study found between 2-8 percent of male athletes experience sexual abuse.

What is the psychology of males who are abused? What does society tell to men and how they should behave?

Coaches, trainers, and athletic directors that are head of the sports activities or obtain power of the over athletes are sometimes accused of being the sexual abuse predators.

Sports are traditionally used as a way for males to bond or where boys can gain self-awareness to become a man.

In sports today, it is expected that males are supposed to portray bravery and assertiveness “shake off” physical discomfort.

With little attention and research surrounding male sexual abuse, many people are completely clueless to the sheer amount of men affected by this issue.

According to the Sexual Assault Response Services, a total of 2.78 million men have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime.

This leaves our society with the question: Will we solve these issues?

Society portrays males to be dominant and “tough”, always on top of their physical health while rarely paying attention to what is going on mentally.

Male victims might be reluctant to come forward because of shame or fearing a loss of masculinity.

If a male speaks up about something that is harming him, it should not mean that he is weak or less of a man. If anything, it makes him even stronger. If awareness is brought to the table, there could be a decrease in the statistics of the issue.

How will the abusers ever stop if no one speaks up and says something?

No matter what background a person has, they should report abuse immediately and stop the horror of these situations. More and more victims are being abused daily, and it is up to us to take a stand and change the way society view male victims.

1 Comment

One Response to “Males get sexually abused too”

1. Elizabeth Jackson on April 5th, 2018 9:29 am

Abuse can merely relate, “don’t bother me , again”: I remember mid-2008 yesterday when my X’s wanted me dead, after biting into M&M candy, which crack my molar. I cried, because of the years of dedication on proper dental hygiene. This typical candy was an attempt to end my appearance! No fair hearing or trial. Learn to disappear. By Elizabeth A. Jackson

• A&E

• A&E

A Week Without

• A&E

The Hidden Gems of H-F

• Males get sexually abused too

A&E

Impending Doom

• Males get sexually abused too

A&E

Kori Barnes

• Males get sexually abused too

A&E

Home (Bitter) Sweet Home

• Males get sexually abused too

A&E

Solar Sculpting

• Males get sexually abused too

A&E

Making her own Music

• Males get sexually abused too

A&E

Winter Wonderland?

• Males get sexually abused too

A&E

Riverdale

Males get sexually abused too