Back on top

Girls' Track and Field team continues to dominate

Bryce Stiff, Sports editor

The expectations are through the roof for the girls’ track and field team that is currently ranked number one by MileSplitIL.com.

A year removed after finishing second to Glenbard West, the team has returned back to their championship form they had last year after losing Alabama star Jaimie Robinson. Robinson’s 36 points scored was an amazing individual feat but it wasn’t enough as the team was one hand-off away from a State title.

“The missed opportunity at last year’s state meet isn’t used this year for motivation but we don’t forget about it either,” head track and field coach Zontavious Johnson said. “Our girls are in a different mind set this year.”

This year the team is led by top finishers out of the SWSC Jacqueline Bassey, Olivia Oliver, Ashanti Denton, Madison Myrick, Trinity Daniels, and the 4×200, 4×400 relay teams.

The relay teams were able to transcend the rest of the competition and also place 1st not only in SWSC but the entire 3A league in SWSC Indoor Conference that took place on March 17.

“We all ran with each other before and know each other personally which allows us to be in sync when we run together,” senior runner Olivia Oliver said.

“As a coach I’m kind of indifferent because I know it doesn’t mean much if we can’t finish the season Number 1,” Johnson said. “The girls and the people that follow us are happy about because the girls have earn the respect of people around the state.”

This is the second year the 4×200 has accomplished this, and the first year for the 4×400.

“As a coach, I’m kind of indifferent because I know it doesn’t mean much if we can’t finish the season Number 1,” Johnson said. “The girls and the people that follow us are happy about it because the girls have earned the respect of people around the state.”

It’s a tribute to how strong the track program is that both the girls’ and the boys’ have been dominating the rest of Illinois, both being ranked number one for at least a week this season.

There is friendly competition between the two but at the end of the day they build each other up by constantly pushing each other.

“We’re all pretty cool with each other,” senior runner Jacqueline Bassey said. “We’re able to joke around, and we support each other at meets when we can. With having two great programs that are constantly targeted by outsiders, it’s important we stick together.

They share a common goal, and both are on pace to win a state title if they can continue at this historic rate.