Migration away from Frustration

As I walk the path, below zero winds blowing onto my face, with frozen numb hands and feet, I sincerely question why the hell anyone would ever live here. Apparently, I’m not the only one.

Other residents of Illinois feel the same, as the state lost over 37,000 citizens in 2016 according to the U.S census, making it the state with the second highest decline in population.

Leaving the state was always something that was on the forefront of my mind when I was younger. The drab strip malls, cookie cutter cul-de-sacs, and weather that changed seasons each day wasn’t a place I wanted to be.

Therefore, I made up my mind this year that I would no longer be residing in the Prairie  State for college. This isn’t a rare occurrence, as nearly half of all graduates from Illinois high schools are going out of state for college according to a report by the Illinois Board of Higher Education.

The question that arises from this is why? Many students all over the country would love to have the connection of the third largest city in the U.S, and other large cities such as New York and Los Angeles are seeing sharp inclines in their student population.

I believe, thanks to the technology that’s accessible and widely used by young people, students are becoming more aware of the issues that will affect them in the future.

While students may not understand the full logistics of our impeding pension crisis or just how complicated and long the political corruption within our state is, we can sense the urgency and dread consuming those older than us when it comes to their future here.

What’s our solution? Will we continue to stay here, fully aware of the problems that will inevitably arise?

Perhaps knowing about these issues is the first step into deciding what we’ll do and where we’ll go, but it shouldn’t be the last.

Many students aren’t even aware of the power they hold. Of course there’s exceptions, but an alarming amount don’t realize there are more elections than just presidential ones.

Homewood Flossmoor has just started mandated Civics classes for incoming freshman, yet the class itself is only a semester long. This is simply not enough lasting information for students to fully comprehend the intricacies of how our government, both Federal and State, works.

If we could first find our voices, than later share them, we can see tangible change within the state. I’m not saying this will fix the issues Illinois is facing, but if we create a more positive and aware group of youths, slowly but surely we’ll see a change.

By instilling a better understanding of local government as well as comprehensive education in what your rights are, we can guide youths into making decisions that will benefit themselves and others.