Blocked Start

Iesha Brown, Sports Writer

After a sluggish start to the season, the boys varsity volleyball team is looking to recover.

The team is 5-8, winning three of their last five games.

“I don’t expect the guys to win all of the games, but of course I do want them to work hard and give it their all,” varsity head coach Robert St. Leger said.

Although the season hasn’t started the way they planned, senior outside hitter James Martinez said the team is not discouraged.

“I really enjoy the competitiveness of the sport, and it just sends off a great vibe. With all of the hard work we do, I really hope we can win State,”he said.

Part of the slow start is due to a challenging schedule.

“Although it doesn’t necessarily help our win-lost record, it’s always fun to compete against the best teams around and see where they’re at,” St. Leger said.

The team is young, too. There are just four seniors, and many new players.

Last year, former players middle blocker Josh Richardson and outside hitter and middle blocker Troy Kates continued respectively at Augustana College and Dominican University.

“There aren’t many returning varsity players with experience, so it’ll take a lot more patience and understanding that there are a lot of newcomers to the varsity level this year,” St. Leger said.

Two years ago, the boys won the IHSA Regionals but lost in Sectionals to Marist.

The team started this season a little shaky, losing their first game against Oak Lawn. The team then hosted their own tournament March 23 and March 24.

However, Plainfield East came out on top during the tournament. The boys went 2-3 and placed 5th out of the eight teams that competed.

“I just feel like we could have done better because I know we had it in us,” right side hitter Emanuel Kizer said. “All we can do is hope for the best and continue to push ourselves to actually go harder in the next set of games.”

During the off season, the team runs a summer league that takes place at H-F and participates in a summer camp in July in preparation for the season.

St. Leger has been coaching the boys varsity volleyball team for 15 years.

He knows that the team will stumble across a few bumps in the beginning of the road, being inexperienced as they are.

“This is my first year on varsity, so I just plan to get better work on some technique in order to keep up that success” junior defensive specialist George Dozier said.

The boys next home game is against Bolingbrook High School Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in the North Fieldhouse.