Prom program giveaways

Keep calm, you might have the chance to receive a free prom dress or tux

Kori Barnes, News Reporter

Prom. Four letters. One syllable. The day some have been looking forward to since childhood or have been dreading since freshman year.

Before your night can even begin, one factor can demand and stress your attention for months on end: deciding on the perfect prom dress or tux. Regardless of your financial situation, you can receive free dresses and tuxedos or get a major discount on both items in and outside of the H-F area.

Certain faculty members at H-F are enthused to give back to the community for prom season.

English Department Chair, Janet Daniels, is giving away free prom dresses to make sure every girl has the opportunity to attend the event.

“The idea originated from my volunteer work with The Glass Slipper Project which is focused on providing students in city schools with the ability to get a prom dress for free,” Daniels said.

Students and alumni have participated in giving and promoting free attire for prom.Alumni Bryce Gray has experience in promoting Black Tie tuxedos.The tuxedo company Black Tie in South Holland gears towards discounted rentals of tuxedos for prom or any formal event.

“I’d tell another student not to be embarrassed about it. You don’t get to dress up and look good all the time, so enjoy it,” Gray said.

Alum Mia Schumann was inspired by her prom experience to spread love and light to other young females on their special day.

“I wondered what other girls did with their occasion wear. Was it just sitting in their closet collecting dust or did they donate as well? This is why I created The Mia Project,” Schumann said.

Schumann has donated numerous prom dresses for giveaways. Senior Yuri Stapleton has promoted on social media that she has an available prom dress for grabs.  

“I would definitely keep the confidentiality of the person who has interest of wanting my dress because it’s nobody else’s business,” Stapleton said.

The financial situations differ on whether the dress would be given for free or a discounted price.

“The person would have to express to me or a trusted adult their specific circumstances,” Stapleton said.

Sandra L. Anderson, licensed clinical social worker in the H-F area, is hosting workshops/giveaways of prom dresses to give back to relieve stress of families.

The workshops will consist of everything revolving around prom including: photographers, florist vendors, limo services, etc.

Regardless of the stress that may come with deciding on the perfect dress or tuxedo, one thing is guaranteed to look perfect: You.

Contact Information in order listed: Room A1 or jdaniels@hf233.org, miadressedme@gmail.com (Instagram:@themiaproject_), stapleton.yuri@gmail.com, Ms. Anderson (708) 752-5306, Black Tie at (708) 596-6330.