Where are they now?

H-F Alumni continue their athletic career hoping to go pro

Courtesy of  Rudy Ayasse

Courtesy of Rudy Ayasse

Courtesy of Rudy Ayasse

Donald Crocker, Sports Editor

“It was a dream come true,” H-F alumni Tai Odiase said when asked about officially becoming a professional basketball player.

Just a month after finishing his four-year college career at the University of Illinois at Chicago, the 2014 graduate signed with Iberostar Tenerife for the remainder of their season.

The team is located in San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain and he has already moved there to join the team. NBA teams are already showing interest in him even though he is not declaring for this year’s draft.

“My agent is currently setting up NBA workouts for me with teams and I plan on doing well enough to make a summer league NBA team and hopefully an NBA roster,” Odiase said.

After high school, people hope to fulfill their goal of going to play professional sports. Odiase was lucky enough to accomplish this lifelong dream of his.

When you go to HF, your chances of going pro are instantly increased. Odiase talks about how high school sports prepared him for college sports and now professional sports.

“They prepared me big time for college and beyond. Before I got there (high school), I really didn’t take hard work seriously, but once I started to see results, I became addicted,” Odiase said.

Former quarterback Bryce Gray choose to play baseball instead of football simply because of the offers he got.

Courtesy of Notre Dame

For baseball, he got offers from Notre Dame, Holy Cross, and Villanova. For football, he received scholarships to smaller D1 and D2 colleges.

Notre Dame had the best combination of academics and athletics and that’s why he elected to join the Fighting Irish.

Gray explains what he missed about the atmosphere of high school sports.

“I miss the school pride in high school sports,” Gray said. “There’s pride in college sports but it’s on a much bigger scale. In high school, it’s smaller and more intimate.”

Duke guard Faith Suggs transferred to H-F after going to Plainfield East her first two years of high school.

Courtesy of DW Hoops

Suggs started at guard for the Blue Devils during this year’s tournament run. Just because they are traveling to play in this tournament does not mean college is just going to pause.

“It is overwhelming when school takes up a lot of work and you’re also in the middle of the season,”

Suggs said. “During the NCAA tournament, it is extremely stressful because school still goes on even if you’re not there and you’re across the country playing.”