Armed Hearts

Shannon Wallace, News Writer

The feeling of having your older sibling leave always hurts; but that feeling is heightened when the sibling is leaving for the military.

Junior Zoe Carter felt that same worry when she found out that her older brother, Kaine, was enlisting in the Air Force.

“When he left it felt like a piece of me left with him. Me and my brother are the closest siblings you could think of”, Carter said. “He’s my best friend”.

Similarly, junior Zora Shannon was saddened to know that her older brother, Malachi, was planning to enlist in the Navy after high school.

“My parents accepted it well, but when I heard I was upset because I didn’t want him to leave. My brother and I have always had a very strong connection,” Shannon said.

Although Carter was saddened by her brother not being with her anymore, she understood his reasoning.

“My brother made this decision because going into the Air Force or any branch of the military, you have your school already paid for. My brother didn’t want to go to college and be in debt with too student loans for the next years of his life.” Carter said.

Kaine also loves to travel and explore the world, and the Air Force would give him that opportunity.

Although schooling is a big influence for military-based decisions, family influence is also a big contributor.

“A lot of people in my family are in the military…so I believe that’s what prompted him to join,” Shannon said.

Security guard Brad Deegan left for the Navy in July of 1979, shortly after graduating from H-F.

“My education of the time in the Navy is beyond the scope of most people. By the time I was 19, while my friends were home at parties, I was working on a Combat Ship 16 hours a day, seven days a week. I witnessed life, and unfortunately death as well,” Deegan said.

Deegan proudly served in the Navy for six years. He is also known as USS Coral Sea CV-43, and was inspired to join the Navy by his older brother, who served in the Navy during Vietnam in 1967.

“In the end, by the time I was 25-26 years old, I had been to 19 Nations, and circumnavigated the globe. I’ve been to sea for four years, and through two typhoons. I wouldn’t trade my experiences for anything. I had the best years of my life,” Deegan said.

Throughout history, millions of people have served in the military and that number continues t

“Although it’s sad, the sadness goes away because you realize they’re doing something good not only for themselves but for the US,” Carter said. “Knowing my brother is happy and doing good in life makes me proud.”