Fingers Crossed

Move out! Junior Joseph Incardella blocks player from scoring. The varsity boys lacrosse team won their senior night game 14-8 on May 2.

Iesha Brown, Sports Writer

The boys varsity lacrosse team has reached a remarkable milestone by winning more games this season than any other season within the last two years.

They have been on their longest winning streak since 2011.

When the team played against Hillcrest on April 18, they won 9-3. Even though people on the team were missing and their equipment damaged, the team didn’t let that stop them from gaining a win.

The team beat Hillcrest the second time around and ended up finishing the game close with a score of 7-6 at a home game on April 23.

“I think we are a pretty good skilled team and it was early into the season,” midfield junior Keith McMichael said. “We are going to win some, and then we’re going to lose some, but if we can play them, I know we can beat them.”

Their first loss in the season was at a home game against Lincoln-Way Central. The score was 4-11.

Coach Mark Thompson coaches the boys varsity lacrosse team and has been coaching lacrosse at H-F for the last 12 years.

Although the team has managed to make some prosperous wins throughout the season, Thompson still thinks the team could use some improvement.

“Alumni have played NCAA Division 3 at about 15 college club teams. We are very proud of all of our alumni many of whom have come back to coach and support the high school and youth lacrosse programs,” Thompson said.

Being that there are only ten seniors on the team, the players feel that they still have another year to show off their talents and improve on their skills. Regardless, the team will miss their presence.

“The seniors play a big leadership role…I think we make a good culture for the team which is a big part of our success,” midfield senior Nathaniel Hardy said.

Team captain junior Elyja Parker has been on the varsity team since freshman year and is one of the leading players. He plans to play lacrosse through college and get into the Professional Lacrosse League. With a dream like this, he has big plans for his team.

As team captain, he makes sure to lead the team down a path of victory.

“My goal is to win two state championships for my junior and senior year,” Parker said. “If I know our team could win against another team, then winning is everything to us, but if I know we’re playing a pretty good team, as long as we don’t give up, it shouldn’t matter.”

For the most part, everyone on the team gets along with each other and have grown a close bond throughout the season.

“They’re like my brothers out there,” Parker said. “We laugh, play, and have fun out there, but we also know when it’s time for us to get serious.”

The boy’s next game is an away game at Lake Shore Dr & Wilson Ave, Chicago against Latin at 4:30 p.m.