Fresh into the water

Pool looking drippy!   Chicago Heights Construction workers are renovating south building’s pool.  The project has been in action since May 2018.

Pool looking drippy! Chicago Heights Construction workers are renovating south building’s pool. The project has been in action since May 2018.

Jotham Israel, Sports Writer

The swimming pool in south building is getting a major renovation after four years of the idea being discussed.

For the first time since it was built in 1992, the pool will be completely remodeled. The last time there was a major improvement was when the scoreboard was rebuilt in 2005, but now the entire facility is getting a huge clean-up.

The renovation includes a re-grouting of the pool, a Colorado time system that specializes in aquatic timing, a new seating section, new scoreboard, new sound baffles, support beams, LED lights, wooden benches, showering system, wider lockers and a remodeled coach’s office.

The pool is also replacing the information monitor with a jumbotron according to the H-F Chronicle.

The support beams will be painted red to go along with the new white sound baffles, coordinating with H-F’s red and white colors.

The sound baffles will be placed on the ceiling to help boost the sound quality. They’re from a European company and H-F is the first pool in America to use the company’s product according to Girls Swimming and Diving Head Coach Eric Olson.

The lights used to point towards the ceiling, but now the LED lights will point towards the pool, making the facility much brighter.

The metal benches with the holes will be replaced with wooden benches. The new non-skid surface will help make sure the deck is not slippery.

For the divers, they will have a new shower system right outside the diving boards to stay warm.
The fans will have a new seating section as the old carpet will be taken out and replaced with the same surface that’s on the deck. There will also be new benches and some seatbacks at the very top.

The tall, skinny lockers will be replaced with wider lockers for the P.E. area so students can fit their belongings in there.

Three doorways have been made, two for storage rooms and one for a new classroom for any P.E. class during the day.

Olson was a huge part of the four-year process of making the renovation possible. Olsen was an alumni in 2004 and came back in 2013.

“We have a really nice pool, we just had to vamp up the old stuff. When our pool was built, it was a state of the art pool, one of the best in the country,” Olson said. “We had schools such as the University of Michigan come to our facility. Michigan used our pool design in the mid 90’s to design their pool.”

The $3.6 million pool renovation is scheduled to be complete on October 1.Currently, the swimmers are using the Flossmoor Country Club pool.

According to the Director of Operations and Maintenance Tom Wagner, the pool is used from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. from Monday to Friday.