It’s time to bounce back

Back to Article
Back to Article

It’s time to bounce back

Defensive powerhouse    Senior defensive tackle Caveon Harris chases Lincoln Way East’s starting quarterback Jack Baltz. Baltz accumulated four total touchdowns including three passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown.

Defensive powerhouse Senior defensive tackle Caveon Harris chases Lincoln Way East’s starting quarterback Jack Baltz. Baltz accumulated four total touchdowns including three passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown.

Donald Crocker, Sports Editor

The front seven is considered one of the most important pieces of a successful football. It involves defensive line and the linebacking core.

Primarily, they are responsible for slowing down the run and putting pressure on the quarterback.

The varsity football team’s defense has been completely dominant this year, not only due to the front seven, but the defensive backs as well.

They have allowed only 11.6 points per game this season, which included shutouts against Stagg and Bolingbrook.

HF is ranked second in the SWSC and fourth in the entire state by NBC Sports.

The boys practice everyday for three hours and even watch film on Sundays to get ready for their next opponent.

“Practice is what really wins you the games. I’m a firm believer that you win football games on Monday through Thursday as you prepare,” Defensive coordinator Zachary Wells said. “The preparation for the Friday night game is just as important if not more important than the actual game itself,”

The defense showed their preparation paid off by holding rival Bolingbrook to only 88 yards of total offense on.

Before their 48-6 loss against the number one high school team in the state, Lincoln Way East, they averaged 11.6 points allowed per game which is down from last year’s 13.11 points.

This year, the team had six returning starters on defense and they only learned from their loss against Naperville Central in the playoffs last year.

Celebration time Senior Caveon Harris celebrates after junior Xavier McKinney intercepted the ball against the Griffins.

“I think this year’s defense might be one of the strongest defenses we have had at HF since I’ve been around,” senior defensive back Gerrell Jackson.

Defensively, they run a 33 stack which involves three down linemen, three linebackers and five defensive backs.

It’s a variation of the more popular nickel defense. The 33 stack has been used by college teams like Boise State, West Virginia, and BYU.

“It allows our players to play fast. And when you can play fast and not have to worry about a whole lot of stuff, it allows your ability to shine through,” Wells said.

Their game against the Lincoln Way East Griffins was a statement to show why they are ranked number one in the state.

Even though the football team is one of the best in the state, they are not indestructible.

The team was held to only one touchdown and only 173 yards of total offense.

For the Vikings to go far in the playoffs, junior quarterback Dominick Jones and the rest of the offense will have to contribute more than just six points.

And while the defense has shown a lot of promise, there is no way they should be allowing 48 points.
Seniors like Justin Whiteside, Isaiah Coe and Kellen Williams will have to step up big time if they hope to make it to state again.

The Vikings will play the Bradley-Bourbonnais Boilermakers tonight at 7:30 p.m.