The Hate U Give sheds light on police brutality

Kennedy Curtis, News Writer

Your eyes are blinded by the array of flashing police lights behind you while your hand frantically shakes to the sound of blaring sirens. Your heart races as a police officer approaches you, gun in hand. Keep your hands on the dashboard, keep your mouth shut, and for the sake of your own life- don’t grab your hair brush.

The film adaptation of Angie Thomas’ New York Times Best-seller “The Hate U Give” released on Oct. 5, and has made over two million dollars in box offices.

The film revolves around the life of a teenage girl, Starr Carter, who deals with the constant pressure of changing her personality to fit in the racial environment of either her predominantly black neighborhood, Garden Heights, and the high school she attends where Caucasians are the majority, Williamson Prep.

Carter has difficulty in revealing her true identity in both communities, to show the world who she really is after being the only person to witness a white police officer murder her childhood friend, Khalil.
With the combination of a powerful, relevant message and an extremely talented cast, director George Tillman truly makes Thomas’ story leap from the pages to the screen.

The theme of the film addresses police brutality and its impact on the African-American society, the movie goes even more in depth by using 2pac’s famous quote “The Hate U Give Little Infants F*cks Everybody”, an acronym for thug life to explain that how we treat the younger generation will affect everyone in the future.

From someone who read the book, I can confidently say that fans of the book will be impressed with the performance of the actors, especially with rising actress, Amandla Stenberg.

Stenberg has been in numerous well-known films such as “The Hunger Games” and “Everything, Everything”, but “The Hate U Give” is her best performance yet.

She perfectly emotes the sadness that Carter feels for Khalil’s death while simultaneously expressing her anger and frustration with how society treats black people.

Stenberg perfectly embodied her character. She wasn’t Amandla Stenberg anymore, she was Starr Carter.

It can not be easily denied that after leaving theaters you will be moved and perceive racial issues with a new perspective. I think that is why “The Hate U Give” is such an amazing movie.

It uses real life scenarios to teach people that even though, constitutionally Americans are equal, some races are not treated the same as others. That’s why this film is so significant.

It’s one of those few movies that takes a stand and calls out the injustice in our society.
We are not united. We are constantly divided by the color of our skin and the labels that society puts on us.

These labels make it hard for so many people step away from stereotypes and understand the truth.
“The Hate U Give” is so important in the film industry. We need films like these to educate people about the other side of police brutality.

The other side that includes young, black people believing that the world only sees them as criminals, which they are not.

For me, when Maverick Carter, Starr’s father says, “being black is an honor, it means you come from greatness,” it destroys every negative stereotype of black people.

This is the purpose of the movie, to empower the African American society and to teach them that they have the ability to make a difference, regardless of their skin color, as long as they are brave enough to speak against the injustice.

We should never feel ashamed of who we are and try to hide ourselves from others because we are afraid of how they will judge us.

We should be proud of what race we come from because that is a huge factor of our identity.
I highly recommend everyone to see this movie, to witness the truth and effects of police brutality.