The Pressure Is On

Final exams increases stress and anxiety in students

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Pressure Is On

The Effects of Stress:      Senior Alannah Hill studies for her upcoming final exams. Other effects of stress can be weight gain and a diminished immune system.

The Effects of Stress: Senior Alannah Hill studies for her upcoming final exams. Other effects of stress can be weight gain and a diminished immune system.

Kennedy Curtis, News Writer

Final exams are back and so is the stress that comes with it.

According to The Hill, 83 percent of stress in teenagers comes from school. Final exams are a huge factor of this statistic because students are worried about the well-being of their grades.
Stress isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Small amounts are actually good for motivation and self-improvement, but it becomes unhealthy when the level of stress gets too high.

“Small amounts of stress can improve performance – there is a benefit to heightened awareness and activation of the body that accompanies small levels of stress, but when stress overwhelms the system there can be difficulties with attention, learning and memory,” AP Psychology teacher Lauren Chasey said.

A multitude of effects occur in the body that impact our emotional and physical health when we feel overly stressed. From the physical point of view Chasey said,
“Stress activates a whole cascade of effects that includes entire body systems – the brain, the autonomic nervous system, the heart, lungs, digestive system, bloodstream / circulatory system, as well as impacts on individual organ function.”

Large quantities of stress and anxiety lead to health risks later on in life. According to Chasey, when our bodies release an increased amount of cortisol, the scientific name for stress hormones, it can potentially result in the higher chance of having hypertension, heart attacks, and strokes in the future.
However, from an emotional health perspective, stress doesn’t exactly have definite effects as it does for your physical well-being, meaning that for each person the emotional reaction is different.

“The main thing to remember about stress is it’s largely based off of people’s perceptions,” H-F Psychologist Kofi Shuck said.

If someone reacts negatively from stress such as having doubts or thinking pessimistic thoughts, then the situation will become worse for the individual.

“If they see everything as a perceived threat and feel they are constantly a victim, then they are more likely to give up and crumble under stress,” Chasey said. “It will impair successful functioning.”

On the other hand, if a student responds positively to stress and anxiety during final exams, they have a higher chance of succeeding.
An example of this is senior Alannah Hill. She’s a member of the International Baccalaureate Program, involved in H-F girls tennis, a manager of the Organic Garden, president of the Spanish National Honor Society, vice-president of the National Honor Society, a member of Mu Alpha Theta and a member of Tri-M.

Despite all the activities Hill is a part of, she uses her stress as a motivator for her academic success.

“I think it’s [stress] a motivator for everyone in IB because at this point, a lot of us know how to channel it into a positive thing instead of being consumed by it,” Hill said.
This supports Chasey’s and Shuck’s explanation on how a positive reaction of stress brings positive outcomes.

“If people perceive challenges as a task to be accomplished or tackled—if they feel competent, capable, and supported—then they are more likely to overcome the stressor and succeed,” Chasey said.

Around this time of year, college counselor Brad Kain said everyone is feeling stressed, but for the senior class the stress level “amps up a little bit” predominantly because colleges are keeping a close eye on their semester grades, which ties into how well they did on their final.

“[It’s] Super important for students not to forget colleges still look at your senior grades,” Kain said. “Colleges definitely don’t wanna see a dip in those grades and they do have every right to rescind that admissions decision if they see a significant change in their performance during their senior year.”

If you feel stressed or anxious because of final exams, Chasey gave a few tips on how to diminish it.

“The best way to combat stress is to control your thoughts – you control how you interpret situations, so see them as achievable rather than as insurmountable,” Chasey said. “Other tips supported by volumes of research studies include adequate sleep, hydration and good nutrition. Meditation, focused breathing, and relaxation techniques are also helpful and have been supported by numerous evidence based research studies.”