Tiana’s takedown in Lincoln Douglas

Senior qualifies for two national competitions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tiana’s takedown in Lincoln Douglas

Moving Up   H-F Lincoln Douglas and Public Forum at competition where Sharpe and Porter qualified for NSAD. The tournament will take place in Austin, Texas on June 16th.

Moving Up H-F Lincoln Douglas and Public Forum at competition where Sharpe and Porter qualified for NSAD. The tournament will take place in Austin, Texas on June 16th.

Kennedy Curtis, News Reporter

In May and June senior Tiana Sharpe will compete in not one, but two debate competitions, the National Catholic Forensic League Grand Tournament and the National Speech and Debate Association Tournament. She, along with sophomore Alex Porter, are the first two people to qualify for the NSDA tournament in H-F history.

Originally she joined debate after being persuaded by her friends, but grew to love the program. In a rare twist, her friends ended up not joining, but she stayed.
For four years she has competed in Lincoln Douglas, a category in which two individual opponents go one on one.

“It’s all about ethics and morality. Most of the resolutions are we ought to do something and we ought not to do something,” Sharpe said.

Both opponents come to the debate with their prepared cases, called constructives, in which they have a limited amount of time to present. After their constructives each opponent must create an argument to contradict their opponents’.

According to Sharpe, this is made “on the fly” with only four minutes of prep time.

Despite the difficulties she is faced with competing in Lincoln Douglas, she still finds success.
At the state competition, she went undefeated in every single round which qualified her for the National Catholic Forensic League Grand Tournament for the third time in a row.

H-F Debate Coach Kathryn Cole who has watched her grow over the last four years said Tiana is “extremely dedicated and continuously striving to find new resources and people to help her succeed.”
“The sky’s the limit for her at this point,”Cole said.

Even her fellow debaters recognize her dedication to her craft.

“When I first met her she seemed very motivated,” said freshman Brooklyn Spencer, ¨She never seems to give up.”

According to Sharpe, the journey to this point in her debate career has been “stressful,” however she credits it to have been a journey of learning and development.

“Debate taught me most how to express myself in a way that is coherent and articulate to the point where I am able to speak well, engage in different conversations and think critically,” Sharpe said.

It has also given her the ability to better her leadership skills. In her sophomore year, she was the only experienced H-F Lincoln Douglas debater mainly because she was the only individual who competed in that category her freshman year.

Since then she has taken the role of being the leader for LD.

“I wanted the team to survive, so I recruited some kids. I help read their cases, I do drills with them, I make lesson plans, and I do topic talks. Sharpe said. “It’s cool because I get to balance being a leader and being a friend.”

Cole described her as being the “literal backbone” of the LD team.

Debate has also contributed to her calling in life. This fall Sharpe will attend Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut majoring in human rights, a “passion” she found through debate because she values “human dignity and life¨, according to Sharpe.

“I would try to reverse the rampant westernization and try to be inclusionary of all cultures,” Sharpe said, “I want to decrease the unwarranted stigma of different nations that do not adhere to western values.”