Categories:

H-F lights up the night for Homecoming week

Homecoming is here! And that means there are many events that come with it. 

Homecoming is a tradition where U.S high schools celebrate their school spirit. During the week of homecoming at H-F, there are days where students can dress up to spread school spirit.

Some of the days around H-F were jersey day, dynamic duo day, and even red wave to rep the school colors.  Other events the school has is  a powder puff game, where juniors and seniors go against each other in an intense game of flag football, the senior versus staff basketball game, the football game, then ending off the great week with the dance.

Class of 2025 Vice President Eryn Odom felt like Homecoming should be very important at H-F. “It should be a big deal because there are many aspects to it. The different events help promote excitement among the students.” Odom stated. 

On Sept. 17, H-F hosted their Powderpuff game where the juniors and seniors compete  for bragging rights. The juniors beat the seniors, winning with a score of 12-6. 

Following the next day was the Hoopla game, where the faculty and seniors competed against each other in a game of basketball. Last year, the faculty won and kept their winning streak alive.

Principal Clinton Alexander hoped that the staff members could come on top and continue their winning streak. He believed that the students have some things to improve on in order to beat the staff this year.

“I think we’re on a winning streak, so the students have a lot of work to do,” Alexander said.

They kept their winning streak alive against the seniors, with the score being 62-40. 

The spirit days this year are different from last year.  Student government wanted to do something that included everyone and make things a little more fun.

“This year we did something to incorporate everybody,” senior class president Ahmad Powell said. “The sponsors wanted it that way and that’s why we did the scavenger hunt on Wednesday.”

On Sept. 21, H-F hosted a Homecoming dance for the student body. The theme of the homecoming dance is “Light up the night.” Student government wanted to do a neon theme for the dance.

Class of 2025 secretary Oreoluwa Shodipo explained that they wanted to try something new for the theme of the homecoming dance. “At one of our meetings, we discussed possible themes and something that incorporated neon was on the list. We wanted to do something different this year and chose that theme,” she said. 

There have been a lot of positive reviews, but also people felt uncertain with spirit days and also the homecoming dance. Junior Amy Garcia felt great about the spirit days and believed that it would get almost everyone to participate. 

“I feel good about it, I feel that people would somewhat participate in it,” Garcia said. “I feel that if there were different spirit days that students can choose from and suggest more students would love to participate in it.”

Hayden Hayes, a junior at H-F wasn’t sure about the dance, but felt alright about the spirit days. “The spirit days are okay, and homecoming I’m not sure.”

Junior Maki’a Begay felt ecstatic about the homecoming dance this year. “I’m excited and I feel like it’s gonna be fun! Especially since it’s in North this year,” Begay said.

This year, the student government wanted to make sure homecoming felt exciting for the student body. “We want to make this special for the student body, so student government is all hands on deck to not only make the dance look the part but feel exciting as well,” Odom expressed. 

Everyone ended up having a good time at the dance and also showing their school spirit during homecoming week.