Gym Dance Insider

Photo from Unsplash.com
Photo from Unsplash.com

Many HF students want to join clubs or extracurriculars but don’t have the time or energy to stay after school everyday. The gym dance program is a place for students to express themselves through movement in their regular gym class rather than having to run or lift weights. This program is the perfect place to exercise, make friends, get credits and have fun all within the school day. 

There are two levels of dance class, first being the Beginning dance class which explores many different types of styles of dance including the basics of jazz, ballet, modern and tap. The second being Choreography and Performance, a class that focuses on using emotions, movement and musical elements to create, teach and perform a dance to a class. Choreography and Performance also prepares its students for an end of the year recital to showcase their learned skills to family and friends. 

The difference in levels provides a way for students to pace themselves in learning new skills to not overwhelm new students. This all inclusive teaching gives students the structure and confidence to continue a career of dance,  “If they ever wanted to take a dance class outside of school in any of those genres, they have a basic foundation and wouldn’t feel lost.” Gym teacher Kerri Elkei says. This non competitive mindset is the perfect environment  for students looking to try and explore a possible career or try something for the first time during the school day. 

The program also offers an entire unit on the evolution of dance where you learn and experience the way dance trends have changed over time. “This gives students an idea of why dance trends of today are the way they are,” Elkei states. This way students are encouraged to expand their knowledge beyond just steps and movements like most college dance classes teach. “The overall goal for both classes would be introducing students to various forms of dance and how to perform [and] being open minded to all forms of dance instead of just Tiktok and Youtube.Elkei says. 

With the diversity of the program you’re given the opportunity to find out which specific style suits you most while still having the opportunity to strengthen all skills.  “I think it benefits people who want to learn how to dance or people like me who haven’t been in the professional dance scene in a minute and want to brush up on their dance skills’.” Senior and two year dance participant, Kamuara Colman states. 

There are many different ways for students to enjoy themselves in a non educational way but the gym dance program takes the cake for being the most accessible, practical, and non competitive outlet for any student of any grade to try.