Incoming freshmen find their way at Voyage to Excellence

H-F’s annual event showcases clubs to 8th graders
Lots of opportunities! Volunteers at Peer Mediations Voyage to Excellence table.
Lots of opportunities! Volunteers at Peer Mediation’s Voyage to Excellence table.
Courtney Alexander

Every year the fieldhouse in North Building fills up with club sponsors, parents and prospective students.

Voyage to Excellence is an event that is meant to seamlessly integrate incoming freshmen into H-F’s community of diverse clubs.

Prior to the event, Gail Smith, the Director of Activities said, “Voyage to Excellence is a really good opportunity for students and parents to know what their options are and for students and parents to know what their options are.”

After much anticipation, on Nov. 30, incoming freshmen had their first major high school experience.

That night, the fieldhouse was overflowing with club sponsors and representatives eager to spark the interest of incoming freshmen.

Parents were greeted at the door by both student and staff volunteers. Participants first cruised through the English department.

EDDA Club was one of the first tables that could be seen.

“EDDA Club is the art and literary magazine that puts the print magazine together for publication in the spring. We accept poetry, short stories, personal essays, and original visual art,” Sahar Mustafah, English teacher and club sponsor said.

Students that were interested in the arts explored the EDDA club table. However, just a few spots down, the Debate team drew a similar crowd.

Club sponsor Katie Cole said, “The debaters have had a lot of conversations with the incoming 8th graders and their parents and I’m hoping that some of them come back next year.”

Voyage to Excellence not only encourages incoming students but it also allows current students to reflect on their experience in clubs.

Landon Bowman, a member of the Robotics club said “The community is excellent. It’s very friendly and you learn as you go. Robotics club would be a very good learning experience for everyone.”

In addition to being able to interact with representatives from different clubs and sports, the 8th graders witnessed various performances throughout the evening.

The band, Viking orchestra and Step team were some of the main groups that showcased their talents.