H-F Pays it Forward this Holiday Season

H-F Pays it Forward this Holiday Season

There are plenty of opportunities to donate to programs and drives at H-F.
The donations will be inherited into the Athletic Department, scholarships, extracurricular activities and student technology support.
Some clubs that contribute are Student Government, Friends of Rachel, Key Club and the Spanish National Honor Society (SNHS).
The National Honor Society (NHS) is one of the major programs ran throughout H-F.
NHS’s Head sponsor, Tiffany Stewart-Williams mentioned areas where they bring their hard working service.
“National Honor Society members work on community service in local communities such as Flossmoor, Homewood, Hazel Crest, Glenwood and Chicago Heights,” Stewart-Williams said.
Then, she explained what NHS members do to give back.
“We do things from tree planting, gift wrapping, helping out veterans, to our biggest project of the year and that is focusing on the MLK Day service,” she said.
Stewart-Williams added on to the organizations that NHS partners with.
“We help the mayor of Flossmoor, Michelle Nelson. She always reaches out to us for us to be able to help her with various projects. She required our assitance to help out at a church in Olympia Fields.”
Similar to National Honor Society, Key Club is a student-led organization, teaching leadership skills through the service to others.
Key Club volunteers at Horizon Hospice, Homewood’s Cancer Support Center, UNICEF, Homewood and Flossmoor Public Libraries, The South Suburban Family Shelter, Homewood-Flossmoor Park District, Irons Oaks Environmental Learning Center and many more places.
Head sponsor Tanya Kluth shared what the club members do to help out the community.
“We do services around the district. Usually, we stick to communities that are local and try not to go outside of that. The acts of service we give out are ‘Trick or Treat’ through UNICEF for elementary kids. This helps them to get vaccines for tetanus, flu shots, etc.,” Kluth said.
Lastly, Student Government is a program where students have the opportunity to make a lot of decisions around the school.
There are two representatives picked, particularly a junior and senior that show up to Board meetings and voice the opinions of the whole Student Government body on what they feel needs to be changed, such as financial aid for AP tests.
Student Government also work together with the principle advisory, which is another opportunity for students to share their voice.
For the first day of finals, they distribute hot chocolate as one of their fundraisers.
Student Government also goes around the town of Homewood and do “Secret Santa” for the kids.
This year, sophomores in Student Government laying out all the details about Turnabout while the juniors will be working on Prom after Winter Break.
These organizations play a huge role in making our community better!