1 in 4 women report sexual assault by graduation

A recent survey on sexual assault and misconduct has revealed just how much of a problem college campus rape is nationwide.

According to the study, by their senior year, 26.1 percent of women had experienced penetration or sexual touching—which could include kissing or groping—as a result of physical force or incapacitation.

This survey is catching people’s attention from all over the country because it was one of the largest surveys ever conducted that focuses specifically on college campus rape.

The survey was created by the social sciences firm Westat, and was issued out by the Association of American Universities to over 150,000 students from 27 colleges, including all members of the Ivy League, except Princeton.

After 2 months of surveying during April and May of this year, it was finally released Sept. 21.

Though the percentage might vary from campus to campus, the survey revealed that overall 11.7 percent of students experienced sexual misconduct, 23.1% of them being undergraduate females.

“I am not surprised because rape happens everywhere and all the time, especially in college,” said Junior Demi Jefferson. “I’m not really concerned about the results of the survey that much because rape is not the first thing I think about when I am thinking about college.”

Some students say the college atmosphere contributes to the alarming statistics.

“I am not surprised by the survey at all because I think that when you’re in college you’re most likely not by your parents, and your parents aren’t hovering over you or protecting you, so when you’re in college you’re kind of set free and I think that young adults take advantage of that,” senior Christine Augustin said.

According to the survey, rates of sexual assault and misconduct were the highest among undergraduate cisgender women, and also among transgender, and gender non-conforming students.

“I do think it is alarming and I do think it is something that can be prevented and should be addressed, but unfortunately I can’t say that I’m surprised based on society,” social worker Phillip Barker said.

The survey also revealed that drugs and alcohol play a big part in sexual misconduct and assault.
5.4 percent of college students reported penetration while drunk.

“It is easy to get someone drunk and be able to persuade or convince somebody by using drugs or alcohol,” Augustin said.

Only 28 percent of students report sexual assault incidents to the police or school. Many students were too embarrassed to speak up.

“I think it is important to speak up and report incidents, despite how serious you think the situation is,” said Jefferson. “You could help others from becoming victims.”