Solar Eclipse Day

Happy Eclipse Day. A phrase that has been heard constantly throughout the halls of H-F this past monday. What makes this day so special? Why are so many students scared of it?

According to Nasa, a solar eclipse is when the moon totally covers the sun and its atmosphere. It also states that we have had multiple eclipses in the year.

Science Department Chair Matthew Gibson knows the reason why this eclipse is so special. Giving the student the opportunities if to see the eclipse if they want to during their lunch hour.

“The last time we’ve had an eclipse in this area, it had been a number of years. It has been 99 years since one like this that has gone coast to coast.” Gibson said.

The peak of totality for the eclipse to be seen is at exactly 1:18 p.m, and while many teachers are excited, students are more on the wary side.

“I’m really scared that my eyes are going to burn, and I don’t want to be blind. I think it would be really cool, but I don’t have glasses to look at it,” sophomore Ella Bohlman said.

Bohlman’s fear of becoming blind is completely valid. According to TIME looking at the sun during a solar eclipse can damage your retina, images your brain can view and in worst cases giving you permanent blindness.

The frightening part about the damage it can do to your eyes is that you won’t know until three months after you have looked at it.

“It’s weird walking the path and working about going blind. That’s something over never experienced before. Just chuck it up to a new one at H-F,” junior Barbara Burns said.

While students are fearing becoming blind, teachers are taking this rare opportunity to teach their students. According to Anderson, another solar eclipse won’t happen for 30 years.

Physics teacher Brian McCarthy is took class to the football field taking the solar helium of the earth and its temperature and seeing how the eclipse affects the temperature pattern.