Homewood Flossmoor High School's only source for hard news

Solar Sculpting

February 28, 2018

Solar+Sculpting

H-F’s Sculpture and Ceramics  course is working on the 13th public sculpture, which will honor former NASA Scientist and current Flossmoor resident Dr. Eugene N. Parker.

Parker is the first living NASA scientist to be recognized for his accomplishments.
As a Solar Astrophysicist Parker developed a theory of supersonic solar wind.

The new sculpture, also called a renovation installment will be added to the North Building soon. Unlike previous sculptures, this work will be a multi-colored light installment.

“It’s different than a traditional sculpture. It will be more of a installation light painting,” Fine Arts Teacher Greg Petecki said.

Senior Alix Lowry is heavily involved in several fine arts classes. She is excited for the process working on the public sculpture.

“It’s going to be fun working on something this big because we’re all going to get the experience to have something where it’s bigger than being just a sculpture at the school. It’s going to be very meaningful to Dr. Parker,” said Lowry.

The Sculptures and Ceramics class is still in the initial phases of the project.

“We just ordered some of the supplies, and we just got our lights in. We have a schedule and our class will start programming with the lights as soon as possible,” said senior Danielle Jordan.

Morgan Jennings is a transfer student and she said that she “enjoys” the collaborative setting for the project.

“It is kind of stressful but fun at the same time. Knowing how big the event will be and knowing who its for, but it’s really great working on it. This is my first year at H-F, and I wanted a class where I could do a little bit of work with my hands,” said Jennings.

The previous sculptures were displayed in various parts of the community.

“Each year the Public Sculpture is different and I believe it represents personalities of the students every year. We’ve had some sculptures displayed in front of Flossmoor library and on our campus,” said Petecki.

Sophomore Jacob Kirlin said he is looking forward to the final product.

“We selected the location for the sculpture. It will be right above the stairs in North, people coming from the football field or the path will be able to see it in during the day and when it’s dark,” Kirlin said.

The honoring event will be held on May 12th in the auditorium. An alumnus who now works for NASA will be the MC for the event.

The event will feature music from our band and maybe some performances from theatre. It will also showcase a small 3-D model of what the sculpture will look like once completely installed.

The final Solar Wind public sculpture will be displayed in North by the end of the year or during the summer.