Media teams finish year strong

Champions%3A+Members+of+VTV+at+the+Midwest+Media+Educator%E2%80%99s+Association+competiton+at+Neuqua+Valley+High+School+on+Apr.+27.+The+team+tied+for+the+most+awards+at+the+competition.+
Champions: Members of VTV at the Midwest Media Educator’s Association competiton at Neuqua Valley High School on Apr. 27. The team tied for the most awards at the competition.

Adekemi Kasali and Kennedy Curtis

It’s been a dominant spring for the school’s media programs.

The VBC dominated at four competitions over the past few weeks. The team won the most awards of any school participating at Midwest Media Educator’s Association, Women’s Press Association, Golden Lion Awards, and at the NATAS Crystal Pillar Awards (where they won five awards-something that’s never been done).

“This was a banner year for the VBC. The nine state awards awarded are the most we have ever won in state and I’m really proud of our staff. They’ve worked hard and have earned these accomplishments,” said sponsor Mark Ciesielski.

Journalism team wins Sectional
On Apr. 21, the Journalism team won its Sectional for the fifth consecutive time. On Apr. 27, the team competed at the State competition and two students placed in their events, they were:
– Yearbook 2-Page Layout Design – 1st – senior Lior Rafalovitz
– Photo Story Telling – 3rd – junior Emma McKillip

EDDA publishes
The school’s most talented artists and writers presented “From the Ashes” to family and friends at the EDDA Literary and Art Magazine Showcase .

EDDA adviser Sahar Mustafah said the club wanted to focus on “renewal in this time of turmoil” and something that reflects on what has been occurring in the “political, social, and racial climate.”

“I love working with students. The members who are invested are so creative and thoughtful of other people’s pieces. I am just in awe every single year of how talented our students are in terms of the writing and art pieces that we publish,” Mustafah said.

It takes a long process of critiquing and selecting to ensure that the magazine will be a success.
After the theme is selected the EDDA members are bombarded with poetry, short stories, photographs, and paintings created by our very own students. The best works are selected by the editors and the art pieces are chosen by the art directors, senior Robert Lee and junior Caroline Koranda.

Last year’s edition earned gold or top honor recognition from Columbia Scholastic Press Association.