Wood you look at that!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wood you look at that!

Tiger Woods smiles and celebrates after winning the Tour Tournament in Atlanta on Sept. 24. It was his 80th PGA Tour win.

Tim Bradbury

Tim Bradbury

Tim Bradbury

Jotham Israel, Sports Writer

As sports fans, we all enjoy all the Super Bowls, NBA Finals, World Series, etc. and the many other major sporting events we love so much.

There have also been a numerous amount of iconic athletes that have made a huge impact on their respective sports.

We all have heard of Michael Jordan and Odell Beckham Jr catching a football with one hand and Serena Williams dominating tennis tournaments left and right.

But there’s one iconic athlete who most people thought was done winning because of his recent scandalous history. His name is Tiger Woods.

Arguably the greatest golfer of all time, Tiger Woods put together an insanely legendary career. In 1997, he became the youngest player to ever win the Masters and that record still stands to this day.

That win not only sent shockwaves throughout the world of golf, but it also had social significance beyond the parameters of golf.

Woods soon became one of the most popular and successful athletes in the 21st century. EA Sports starting naming their golfing series after him, starting with Tiger Woods 99 PGA Tour in 1998.

But it wasn’t always good for Woods.

Woods has been through numerous scandals and injuries throughout the past five years that had people wondering if his career is over.

He had four back surgeries in 2014 and played in pain through only 12 tournaments from 2015 to 2017.

We also can’t forget about him committing serial adultery in 2009 and getting arrested for sleeping in his car with the motor on.

All of these events caused him to give up his crown for the number one golfer in the world and hit rock bottom.

And yet, he still found a way to spring back up.

On Sept. 24, Tiger Woods mounted his comeback and won the Tour Tournament, winning his first PGA Tour championship since 2013. It was his 80th, second all-time behind Sam Snead.

On the 18th hole, Woods had the fans in Atlanta running through the fairway with cell phones ready to capture his legendary comeback win.

He putted the ball, raised his arms and smiled while all of the fans that were hungry for an uncomplicated Tiger Woods were cheering.

They weren’t cheering for the old Tiger Woods that they already knew would win. If they were, they wouldn’t have cheered with such elation.

Those fans were cheering for the Tiger Woods that has bounced back from being engulfed by adversity.

Just like he did 21 years ago, Woods sent shockwaves throughout the world of sports.

One step at a time, Woods rediscovered his swing, his winning ways, and perhaps even himself as a person.

The Tiger’s not done roaring yet, though.

He has 14 major championships, second all-time behind another legend in Jack Nicklaus, who has 18 major championships.

One way or another, we should all be glad to see Tiger Woods on ESPN and not CNN.