Simeon ends H-F’s Playoff Run

More+than+a+shooter+++++++++++++Senior+guard+Trace+Williams+goes+up+for+a+layup+during+H-F%E2%80%99s+loss+against+Simeon+in+the+Class+4A+Eisenhower+Sectional+championship.+Williams+chipped+in+12+points.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Simeon ends H-F’s Playoff Run

More than a shooter             Senior guard Trace Williams goes up for a layup during H-F’s loss against Simeon in the Class 4A Eisenhower Sectional championship. Williams chipped in 12 points.

More than a shooter Senior guard Trace Williams goes up for a layup during H-F’s loss against Simeon in the Class 4A Eisenhower Sectional championship. Williams chipped in 12 points.

Donald Crocker, Sports Editor

The Homewood-Flossmoor varsity basketball team had a bittersweet ending to their season after losing to Simeon in the Class 4A sectional championship on March 8.
They ended the season with a 20-7 regular season record and a postseason record of 3-1.
The team had a good combination of length and speed with guys like sophomore Chad Readey and junior RJ Ogom in the front court who play a big part on defense.
“It always helps. You just got to know how to use it properly and sometimes we do and sometimes we don’t. The idea, at this point, is to be ready for every different kind of style you’re going to see,” head coach Marc Condotti said.
The boys snuck past the Marist Redhawks in the first regional matchup 42-39.
The Vikings were knocked out the playoffs by the Redhawks last year with a score of 61-47.
One of the main reasons this game was so close was H-F’s struggle to close out games. They made small mistakes that led to easy baskets for their opponents.
“We obviously have the physical tools necessary. We’re not always reliant on the physical and being able to work through some things mentally has been the biggest challenge for us all season,” Condotti said.
This game was a little more personal for senior forward Maurion Scott. Marist ended his high school football career last November when they shut down H-F 21-7. Scott led H-F with 13 points and 13 rebounds.
“Marist ended my football career. Last year, they ended my basketball season. And this year, I just ain’t got no time for that,” Scott said.
During the regional championship game against St. Rita, Ogom started the game but left after tweaking his ankle in the first half.
The Vikings picked up the slack by having four players: Scott, Trace Williams, Damen Trice Jr. and Oscar Parrish III score in double figures. H-F won the game 55-45 after starting the fourth quarter with a 13-0 run.
Senior forward Issac Stanback is known for his hustle plays that lead to easy points in the paint. Stanback creates extra possessions by outworking opposing big men.
Stanback was out for the first two games of their playoff run and made his return just in time for a rival game against Bloom in the Class 4A Eisenhower Sectional semifinal.
He contributed 14 points and 11 rebounds to help will the Vikings to a 64-61 overtime win over the Blazing Trojans.
“He added that spark that we always play with. We got it done the first two games but without him, I don’t see us winning this game,” Scott said.
The Vikings ended their season after losing to Simeon 58-43.
The Wolverines outscored H-F 24-8 in the third quarter after going into the second half tied at 20.
Simeon never looked backed after taking a 42-28 lead going into the fourth quarter.
“We improved from last year when we lost against Marist at Thornton until now. So I can’t even really be sad. I’m really proud of everybody,” Trice said.