Two New School Board Members Elected

Photos from candidate websites

From left to right: Steve Anderson, Michelle Hoereth, and Cynthia Turnquest.

On Tuesday, April 6 Homewood and Flossmoor residents took to the voting booths to vote for 3 school board members. Voters selected Cynthia Turnquest, Michelle Hoereth, and incumbent Steve Anderson. 

The three candidates ran together against incumbents Beth Larocca and Annette Bannon who were both elected to the board in 2017. 

According to the Cook County Clerk’s office website, Anderson received the most votes with 3,332 votes (20.63 percent), then Turnquest captured 3,195 votes (19.78 percent) and Hoereth got 3,186 votes (19.73 percent). 

Anderson was surprised and humbled to receive such a large amount of votes. 

“I was excited about the election results but I was also a little surprised to be the top vote-getter again.  I didn’t expect that,” Anderson said. “It tells me that our community trusts me in a role like this and that’s very humbling.”

Along with incumbent Anderson, residents of Homewood and Flossmoor selected Hoereth and Turnquest to serve on the school board.

Hoereth has lived in Flossmoor for over 18 years and she is currently President of Flossmoor School District 161 Board of Education and she has served on that board for 6 years. She is excited to serve her community in this new position. 

“I was excited when I saw the results not just because I won, but because I feel like this is about community trust. I am honored to serve in this capacity and I believe I can make an impact,” Hoereth said. 

Turnquest has lived in Flossmoor for almost 20 years and has served as a member of the Executive Board of the Homewood Flossmoor Parent Association (HFPA) for 6 years. Turnquest also does vital work as the Director of Outreach & Strategic Partners for The Cancer Support Center. 

“I was thrilled when I learned that I was elected to the school board. I am looking forward to serving the students, faculty and community and working with the administration and fellow board members. It will be my absolute honor,” Turnquest said. 

Turnquest is hoping to help H-F continue to be regarded for its academic excellence and make H-F a place where students can prosper. 

“I look forward to maintaining our community’s high standard of academic excellence while expanding our resources and assets, which is the foundation of any strong and vibrant community,” Turnquest said. “I love my community. I want to make sure that the wonderful environment that my kids have had the privilege to grow and prosper in is maintained and thriving for those that will come after them.

Hoereth wants teachers and students to have the space and resources to innovate and be creative. 

I believe in the possibilities of every single student in our district and I want to provide teachers with all of the tools they need to help every student reach their fullest potential. I want to make sure there is space for teachers and students to be creative and innovative in their approach to teaching in learning,” Hoereth said. 

Anderson, Turnquest and Hoereth will serve on the H-F School Board for 4 years. The school board officially accepted the election results and they began their terms on Friday, April 30.