Lesser Known Clubs: Poetic Expressions

Lesser Known Clubs: Poetic Expressions

H-F has a vast variety of extracurricular activities that range from all spectrums of interests and hobbies to ensure that there is something for everyone. One of these clubs is Poetic Expressions. 

Poetic Expressions is an open poetry club that gives students who appreciate all aspects of writing an opportunity to do just that, express themselves poetically.

The club was created to give time for poets to share feelings and viewpoints through their art and has been an active club at H-F for more than 12 years. 

The group gets together once a week, every Tuesday, and would love to have new facesat their next meeting for creatives looking for like-minded individuals. 

Normally, a meeting goes something like this: as it’s the beginning of the year, the members go around introducing themselves. Typically, there’ll be some kind of ice breaker: “what’s your name and favorite color?” Once that’s done, the floor is open for anyone who wants to to share any poetry they have.  Each week there’s a new prompt to inspire pieces, but students are welcome to share any work. 

From there, the time is flexible, coming up with a prompt for next week’s poetry and discussing plans and goals for the club this year. 

Each year members decide whether they choose to compete, attend poetry events at other schools, and/or invite speakers to lead workshops.This year we are not competing; we are planning an after school event and inviting speakers to lead workshops at H-F,” shared club sponsor and English department chair, Jeanne Miller.

Throughout its run, Poetic Expressions has participated in competitions like Louder than a Bomb, an annual event claimed to be the largest youth poetry festival in the world, and Battle of the Bard.

Sophomore Charlotte Symowicz stumbled across the club while looking for somewhere to pass time before meeting her speech coach, and never left. 

“It’s a really good environment. I do several other extracurriculars and I can sincerely tell you nothing else has been this welcoming and accepting. It’s truly one of a kind,” Symowicz said. 

Instead of competing this upcoming season, the club is focusing more on improving writing and presentational/slam skills. 

Poetic Expressions meetings are filled with laughter, love, and poetry. We draw circles wider and encourage students to come as they are,” Miller said.