High Lunch Prices, What Gives?

High Lunch Prices, What Gives?

School cafeteria prices are high, that’s no joke! Come on, a candy bar for $2.25? That’s wild! Many people agree that not everyone has stacks of cash in their wallets. Which leads us to the big question… Why are the cafeteria prices so high, and what can be done to lower them?

Many students agree that the cafeteria prices are high. Many would like to see them lowered, others think the prices are average, but the food items given are lackluster. “The prices are reasonable, though usually people have problems with the price of drinks.” Senior Tinbit Dogisso said.

“I think prices are reasonable, but not for what you’re getting,” Freshman Kristen Crawford said. “I think it’s insane, because you can go to Walmart and buy a Kitkat for a dollar compared to the $2.25 that’s charged in the cafeteria.” 

Students would also like to have a better selection of foods, finding the current selection to be lacking. “I would like to see different food items being served.” Said Sophomore Sa’Nya Burl.

It is clear that students want change, not just to prices but to the cafeteria experience as a whole. What can actually be done to bring that change around? Our principal, Clinton Alexander, may have the answer.

Though a good question to start with is: Why are the cafeteria prices so high in the first place?

According to Chief School Business official Lawrence Cook, it’s due to the type of contract we have with our food service provider Quest Food Management. “Our food service rents out facilities within the school to serve our students and faculty.” Cook explained. “No money that is made comes to the school, it all goes to Quest Food Management.” 

Though the prices are not set solely by Quest Food Management, H-F has approved of the prices that are currently set. According to Quest Food Management President, Nick Saccaro. “We have to get prices approved by the school; they can’t be set all on our own.”

However, due to inflation over the years, the cost for Quest Food Management’s services have gone up. Instead of paying $2.25 for a KitKat, you could be paying $5 for one! “The cost for lunch has gone up because of inflation overtime.” Cook said.

Saccaro also explains this. “Inflation (both food and wages) is a significant factor in the prices we charge to students.  We are just like any other business – if we’re paying more to get or prepare the food, it really impacts us.” Saccaro said.

So now we know why prices are so high in the first place, and what roles H-F and Quest Food Management play into the prices. Now onto the big question, what can be done to implement change in the cafeteria? 

Dr. Alexander urges students to communicate with staff in order for changes to be made. “It is recommended for students to partner with administration to express their concerns.  Through our effective communication and partnership, we can work together to potentially explore other options.”