• High schools around America are navigating SAT changes.

News

SATs Go Digital this Spring

• The Origin of Franklin #5

Comic

The Origin of Franklin #5

• All Black History Month events at H-F. Information taken from H-Fs Department of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

Feature

Black History Month At H-F

• Badminton returns with a smash

Sports

Badminton returns with a smash

• Mrs. Daviss 3rd Period AP African American Studies Class

Feature

AP African American Studies Is Opening Doors

• Connor Bedard, the absolute only bright spot in Chicago sports.

Sports

Chicago sports mediocrity

• Current wildfires burning in the U.S.

Opinion

Wildfires are destroying our earth, now more than ever

• H-F Breaks Ground on New Science Building

News

H-F Breaks Ground on New Science Building

• Homewood-Flossmoors New Businesses Flourish

News

Homewood-Flossmoor’s New Businesses Flourish

• Why Arent Progressives Challenging Biden?

Opinion

Why Aren’t Progressives Challenging Biden?

Homewood Flossmoor High School's only source for hard news

The Voyager

The Voyager

The Voyager

Black History Month At H-F

So’Koree Parker
All Black History Month events at H-F. Information taken from H-F’s Department of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

Celebrating Black History month acknowledges generations full of power, culture and fulfillments. The month works to recognize the trail blazers in politics, arts, literature, activism and so much more.

So, how is H-F celebrating the month?

Throughout the month of February, H-F’s embracing these legacies with events surrounding black history and highlighting historical figures you may not know.  

The events range from student workshops to ticketed performances, all of which were organized by H-F’s Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI).

To participate in the events, students are encouraged to fill out the Google Form, located in students’ Viking Compass and English Google Classrooms. 

According to the ODEI’s event advertisement, events begin on Feb. 19 and end on Feb. 27. Students can find information about these particular events in the Google Form. 

To plan for BHM events such as Roots to Success, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Coordinator Catherine Cook looked for new and experienced entrepreneurs to join together for marketing and thought partnership to learn and navigate together.

Other than entrepreneurship, Cook also looked to artistic performers to celebrate the month. 

According to Cook, however, Black history is about more than a month. 

“No people or history can exist in 29 days. Black History is 365 days long year round. I would like these events to be a reminder of African Americans’ contributions to not only our country, but the global world as well,” Cook said.

In the spirit of seeing Black History as an event that happens 365 days a year, Cook also was passionate about exploring the importance of HBCUs in young people’s lives. 

To highlight this importance, Cook is encouraging students to wear HBCU gear on Tuesdays throughout Black History Month. 

“The legacy of black excellence and scholarship can be very overlooked.It’s an opportunity to truly be unapologetically and authentically you. Having your story, your history, your culture, centered [and] not an addition and existing on the margin, they are extremely important in continuing to insist the importance of what it means to be black ” Cook said

Black history month is an opportunity to celebrate and acknowledge black excellence but black history is world history which is to be celebrated and recognized year round.