College degree from across the sea

College degree from across the sea

Shaw Didier has been given the opportunity of a lifetime; a chance to explore the world while getting his degree.

In many countries, college costs are significantly lower. These countries include Germany, France, Sweden and Brazil, and they have English programs geared towards foreign exchange students.

Some students find difficulty in adapting to a different culture, or learning a new language.

“A con could be learning about a different culture,” college counselor Kevin Coy said. “If they’re not familiar with that culture, they might not feel comfortable enough being in a culture that they’re not aware of.”

But that could be a plus. Expanding your horizons and experiencing things you wouldn’t have in America is worth the culture shock for some students.

“It’s also allowed me to see more of the world. During Spring Break last year, I visited a small town in the English North called Hexham and tried downhill biking for the first time before traveling to Rome a few days after,” 2014 H-F alum Shaw Didier said.

Didier attends the Digital Film and Television course at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Glasgow.
While some students may consider college abroad because of money, others may just like the allure of being in a different country.

“I get to experience a new type of life I guess,” senior Grace Tosi said. “Plus I’ve always thought that Canada would be a cool place to live in!”

In a lot of countries outside of the US, college is significantly cheaper. Average tuition cost in America is $32,405. In England, it costs about $5,288; in Germany, it is $933; and in France, $585 according to Business Insider.

The actual college costs may be cheaper, but not all countries participate in the dorm system, so that’s an additional cost. Also, most of your expenses will fall onto you instead of on the university like it would here in America.

“I spend something around $20,000 a year on my three year program, plus living expenses,” Didier said.
Although some students may be uncomfortable with the idea of going to college abroad, stepping out of their box may be the best choice.

“I always encourage students to explore something that is either comfortable with them or not comfortable with them. If they’re comfortable with stepping out of the box and going overseas and going to a new country, absolutely,” Coy said. “If it’s right for that student then yes, I would encourage it.”

Foreign countries have made more of an effort to recruit foreign students. Over 30 international schools now accept the common app, and for some countries, you can use U.S financial aid.

Some of countries include Argentina, Ireland, England and France according to the U.S. Department of Education.

If students worry about how their degree would transfer back to America, an option to consider is going to an American university in another country. Some colleges are the American University of London, Northwestern University in Qatar and University of Michigan – Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute.

“If it’s an American university, there is no problem. They’re going to get their degree from here,” Coy said.

International college could be your chance to break out of your box and discover the world.

“Seeing the significance [rugby] has on the people here is incredible, and sitting in a pub called Dram! on the West End of the city watching this years’ Rugby World Cup, I got to see the joy of the South Africans sitting across from me as they sang their national anthem and went on to win their match, or see the Englishman cry next to me as his team went out of the tournament they were hosting,” Didier said.