Heist of a Lifetime

Back to Article
Back to Article

Heist of a Lifetime

Chloe Kapica, Feature Editor

Widows is a movie that takes risks, showing three entirely different lives of three women who have just lost their husbands after a police shoot out. The women soon uncover untold secrets about their husbands they now struggle to keep.

As soon as Veronica Rawlin’s husband dies, she learns he was, in fact, a criminal and worked with three other men to pull heists. Mr.Rawlins also leaves her with a $2 million debt that she owes to Jamal Manning (Brian Tyree Henry) who is in the running for 18th Ward Alderman in the city of Chicago.

To pay off this debt, Veronica enlists the help of two other women: Linda and Alice , who also lost their husbands do to the police shoot out.

The three go straight to work, gathering the materials necessary to pull off a heist bigger than any other their husbands have ever pulled off.

Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debicki, and Michelle Rodriguez play the three main wives, working together to figure out how to steal back the $2 million dollars.

Widows is directed by Steve McQueen, who also made the iconic, Academy-award winning 12 Years a Slave back in 2012. Following the same story line as 12 years a Slave, Widows covers controversial topics while fighting all obstacles which come their way.

McQueen goes above and beyond as well with the cinematography in the film, making the movie look outstanding. The camera shots show the differences between upper class and middle class societies. The close shots give a more personal, intimate feel until it is quickly interrupted with the sound of gunshots and police sirens.

The transitions throughout the movie flow beautifully, demonstrating the conflict in each individual scene and how Veronica and her brand new band of thieves is able to combat it.

Widows was an empowering movie about feminism which shows the differences between men and women.

As stated before, the audience sees the lives of three different women as they live with they’re either abusive husband or a husband who takes advantage of her. Each character finds their own voice in their own time.

Even with the fabulous cinematography and stunning story line,it still falls short.
Ironically, the film feels long as you’re watching it. It takes to long to get to the main point of the story.

It eventually ties up all the knots, explaining every confusing detail.

However, Widows is an amazing story that keeps audiences hanging by a thread.

The thing I loved most about this movie was the twist story line, although, to find out the ending to that, you’ll have to see this unique new movie before it makes its quick getaway and leaves theater.