The gift of giving

Back to Article
Back to Article

The gift of giving

Faith Lee, Feature Writer

The holiday season has snuck up on us once again this year and the gift giving frenzy has begun. Unfortunately, some people do not have the necessities to purchase gifts and can’t afford gifts during the holiday season. But luckily, many clubs at H-F are able to give back to those who are in need this year through Holiday Angels.

Holiday Angels is a way to donate to a select family and grant their needs and wants to bring warmth and joy to their holiday season.

Student Government works to help make H-F a better place, but they also work to make the community better. This year, student government is participating.

Culinary arts teacher and sophomore class Student Government sponsor, Alyssa Marassa is participating in donating to Holiday Angels for the first time this year. Marassa is elated to have an opportunity to give back to the community with Student Government.

“It feels so great giving back to the community. The holidays can be a hard time on many families,” Marassa said. “By doing this, I hope we can lessen the burden and make a difference in their lives.”

Student Government members do not hesitate to participate in Holiday Angels. They donate toys and necessities for the selected Holiday Angel family.

Sophomore class president, Jordyn Johnson loves to give back to the community by volunteering and fundraising and is very appreciative that the opportunity is given through student government.

“I think it’s very important to give to Holiday Angels, and to give back in general to those less fortunate than us. Especially during these cold months because we’re often providing necessities to [the] families,” Johnson said.

Student Government isn’t the only H-F club who participates in giving through Holiday Angels. Key Club also lends a helping hand to a family in need through the organization.

Key Club sponsor, Tanya Kluth, has been donating to Holiday Angels for 15 years.
Kluth loves to see how the members of Key Club are empowered after serving the family.

“Giving feels better than receiving. I want the students to feel that helping someone out can leave you feeling rewarded and fulfilled,” Kluth said. “People who participate in volunteer work feel more empowered than those who do not.”

Similar to student government, members of Key Club donate winter necessities and other wants of the selected family.

Key Club secretary, Edrianna Assam, gets a sense of pride knowing that she is able to bring joy to a family in need.

“I know any day I could end up in a less than ideal situation and having a sense of community is the only true way to guarantee continuous support in stressful situations,” Assam said. “Being so young, it seems as if it’s hard to have a concrete connection to help the people we see in need, but Key Club gives us the connections to positively help the people around us.”

Student Government and Key Club help bring cheer to wonderful families every year.
It’s always better to give than to receive and what better way to give than helping those in need.

“Passion should be the foundation for our giving. It is not how much we give, but how much love we put into giving and serving,” Kluth said.