How To Stay Sane During E-Learning

Cartoon created by Ashley Rogers

Going from learning in person to remote learning  was a big transition for a lot of students and teachers. Any sharp turn in a person’s life will affect the psyche, the human soul, mind or spirit. 

Since H-F did not reopen this year due to the Coronavirus, students are sitting in front of their electronic devices for almost eight hours a day. Staring at a screen for that long can be draining and can affect students in the long run. 

“Remote learning can affect student learning,” said H-F counselor, Lindsay Leverson.“The transition from teacher-centered instruction to student-directed virtual instruction can lead to anxiety in some students.”

The anxiety that some students may have can impact the working memory, which makes it hard to remember new information and recall already learned information. 

If students are feeling isolated then they can reach out to a social worker, a school counselor, a teacher, or any member of the administration. Social workers are also holding Wellness Wednesdays virtually, where students can sign-up for different social-emotional topics to help them deal with being at home. 

H-F social worker, Lauren White, said, “Try some coping skills. Reach out to talk, don’t beat yourself up by acknowledging your feelings and utilizing a healthy coping skill.”

Sitting in one position for a long time can cause you to feel tired or fatigued, so during the fifteen minute break, each student should move or stretch, and drink some water to wake themselves up. 

“My suggestion is to get up and away from the computer on breaks,” said Monte Holt, a P.E. teacher at H-F. “This also means don’t just jump on your phone.”

Additionally, make sure that you’re going to bed on time and getting at least eight hours of sleep. Wake up and get ready as if you’re going to school, and focus on eating healthy snacks and drinking water throughout the day to make sure you have as much energy as possible. 

Learning where you sleep is not a good idea. Studying or doing schoolwork in your bed can reduce your focus because you associate your bed with sleep. It can cause you to become lazy and possibly fall asleep during class and possibly ruin your sleep at night. 

Also, you must have good posture while sitting in front of the computer. According to Rush Medical School, “Posture affects our emotions and thoughts, and vice versa. Slouching makes it easier to think negative thoughts, while sitting or standing in a strong, upright position encourages empowering thoughts.”

Even though remote learning  took away your chances of walking the halls or path, you still need to move. You should be doing everything in your power to make sure you’re active in some way. That means going on runs or walks, doing stretches or even making TikToks. 

“When we’re active our brain releases dopamine and this helps us feel happy!” said White. 

Counselor Karen Olson said she chooses to believe, “…the changes in our lives related to E-Learning  can be opportunities for everyone to reset, reorganize and rethink their routines, attitudes and actions for the better.”

OK, now let’s go over all the tips I gave you: Remember to get eight hours of sleep, eat healthy snacks and drink lots of water, have good posture while sitting at the computer and take breaks away from all electronic devices. Following these steps will help you stay relaxed. 

This is new to everyone and you’re not alone in this. There are plenty of people you can reach out to for help.

To find out more about Wellness Wednesdays go to the H-F website and click on events and from there it will show when the next meeting will be held.