Special Olympics basketball takes 3rd at State

H-Fs Special Olympics basketball team after taking 3rd at State.
(left to right, back to front) Marco Agting, Eliakim Taylor, Jasmin Harris, Jordan Jones, Faustin Kelly, Quinn McNellis, Beverly Nwachukwu, Conner Peterson, Coach Brian Garland, Alyson Harris, Gianna Bucci, Anaya McCoy, Kaylee Speerbrecker, Nehemiah Richardson, Jeremiah Richardson, Coach Jen Olumsted
H-F’s Special Olympics basketball team after taking 3rd at State. (left to right, back to front) Marco Agting, Eliakim Taylor, Jasmin Harris, Jordan Jones, Faustin Kelly, Quinn McNellis, Beverly Nwachukwu, Conner Peterson, Coach Brian Garland, Alyson Harris, Gianna Bucci, Anaya McCoy, Kaylee Speerbrecker, Nehemiah Richardson, Jeremiah Richardson, Coach Jen Olumsted
Katie Niekula

Over March 8-9, H-F’s traditional Special Olympics basketball headed downstate to Illinois State University after a triumphant regular season and a first-place regional title.

The team, coached by Special Education teacher Brian Garland, went on the road to compete after a send-off from second-period gym classes and administration.

“It was incredible,” said Garland. “The players had a really good time and they’re really happy with the third-place finish. They were excited about going down to State, especially with the send-off.”

H-F’s Unified basketball team had a fantastic regular season. Still, after defeating Peotone High School and Andrew High School, they fell short in overtime at the regional tournament on Feb. 10 to Bradley-Bourbonnais High School 50-51.

After a difficult first game, losing 54-66 to the Rushville Industry Rockets, the team returned on their second day of competing to beat Lyons Township High School with a score of 38-31.

H-F’s Special Olympics basketball game before their first game against Rushville.

Despite a rough first day of competing, the game wasn’t without highlights.

Athlete Jordan Jones put up an incredible 35 points, leading the team.

“It went great,” said Jones. “It felt like I was playing in the NBA.”

As the second game ended with a more desirable outcome, emotions were high and everyone was excited about the third-place finish. 

“It felt great to take third,” said athlete Eliakim “ET” Taylor. “Everyone did their part and we absolutely played our best.”

While the point of the competition was, of course, to compete, Special Olympics makes sure that while everyone competes, simply having a good time is equally important.

“It was so fun,” said athlete Gigi Bucci. “My parents came to watch me and I made a 3-pointer!”

Athlete Jordan Jones fist-bumping the ref after winning third place.

H-F is known for standing apart from the rest, and our Special Olympics program is no different. 

“I think the biggest thing that makes our team different is the amount of support that we have from our Unified and Special Olympics programs,” said Garland. “It’s more than just the sport, it’s also Just Like You Club (JLY), the connections and relationships between the athletes, our Unified PE class, it just builds really strong bonds between the players and everyone else involved.”